Best products to fight Impetigo & MRSA?

Started by wrestling#1, January 27, 2015, 02:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestling#1

Ever since our 1st tournament in December, our school has had repeated outbreaks of Impetigo and etc. skin viruses.  The coaches have taken extra measures in cleaning & disinfecting the mats, along with sitting those infected out of practice and competition.  But as a parent I fear that the timing of the next outbreak will come here in February and sideline some talented wrestlers from Regionals, Sectionals & State.  Can anyone tell what they have found that works best in preventing their son or daughter from getting infected?  I see many wrestlers rubbing on a foam barrier before wrestling, along with Body wipes after wrestling.  What products are BEST and where can I purchase them?  Hopefully the entire wrestling community will go out and buy this stuff to help in the prevention of spreading this crap around at these tournaments.   Very concerned wrestling parent!!!
"Dedication leads to accomplishment"

Mack

Finally, a question a mom can answer.   :)  We've tried all the prescription stuff for outbreaks.  It works, to a degree.  We have had better luck with tea tree oil.  Kids put it on affected area with a cotton ball before bed, and in the morning.  

tjtoad71

My son is prone to impetigo...our sports medicine Dr. keeps him on a low dose antibiotic during wrestling season.  We have tried all the cream and potions and nothing helps.

matman

At our college we use hibiclens, use it in the showers after practice, along with regular soap. Just after doing some research on MRSA lifespans I found some interesting facts.

MRSA Life Span Facts
• MRSA can live for up to 7 months on dust
• MRSA can live for up to 8 weeks on a mop head
• MRSA can live for up to 9 weeks on cotton (towel)
• MRSA can live for up to 203 days (over 6 months) on a blanket
• MRSA can live on the skin of otherwise healthy individuals, with no symptoms
indefinitely

http://www.nwcaonline.com/hibiclens_wrestlingspecific.pdf

Mack

Quote from: matman on January 27, 2015, 03:05:48 PM
At our college we use hibiclens, use it in the showers after practice, along with regular soap. Just after doing some research on MRSA lifespans I found some interesting facts.

MRSA Life Span Facts
• MRSA can live for up to 7 months on dust
• MRSA can live for up to 8 weeks on a mop head
• MRSA can live for up to 9 weeks on cotton (towel)
• MRSA can live for up to 203 days (over 6 months) on a blanket
• MRSA can live on the skin of otherwise healthy individuals, with no symptoms
indefinitely

http://www.nwcaonline.com/hibiclens_wrestlingspecific.pdf

Thanks, Matman.  Now I am going to burn our house down.

DocWrestling

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

Shower every day right after practice AT SCHOOL, immediately after practice.  Lots of lather to remove stuff from the skin.
Disinfect headgear after practice each day too (bleach spray and wipe down. 
A nationally renowned expert on this subject told us just this for years.  All the "shields" and such might help but the soap and water advice was first and foremost in this expert's mind.  I don't have his permission to quote him, many know him.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

DocWrestling

Make sure the youth wrestlers are also doing the same if they are using the mats and keep only wrestling shoes on the mats.  Clean bottoms of wrestling shoes after tourneys and duals.  Team should not put wrestling shoes on until on mats and take off before they leave the mats.

Think about gym classes also using the mats.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigG

Quote from: Mack on January 27, 2015, 02:46:30 PM
Finally, a question a mom can answer.   :)  We've tried all the prescription stuff for outbreaks.  It works, to a degree.  We have had better luck with tee tree oil.  Kids put it on affected area with a cotton ball before bed, and in the morning. 

+1 on the Tea Tree oil. Best thing for the worm, too. I'm guessing real udder balm (Dr. Forster's) might work, too. $4 at Farm and Fleet.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestling#1

Sorry Tews19 - it's not right to bring up names of teams or tournaments where some of our wrestlers got the stuff from.  As I believe this is a universal problem for anyone associated with wrestling.  Just hoping to bring some attention to this problem with the hope that more Coaches, parents and wrestlers can work together to keep these skin issues off the mat.  So far knock on wood, my son hasn't had any problems as he showers after practice with Defense soap and wears clean clothes at each practice.  But I'm just very concerned about how much stuff is showing up this year and just purchased some Barrier Foam and Body wipes as some additional insurance.  Thanks for everyone's input on the subject.  
"Dedication leads to accomplishment"

TeamJ

From a parent of a kid that went thru multiple mis-diagnosis and incorrect treatments, we learned 2 very important facts:

1)  If the infection (ringworm, impetigo, whatever) is in the hair or scalp line (including eyebrows), only a prescription strength antibiotic or anti-fungal will knock it completely out...no exceptions.

2)  get a good dermatologist or GP that has treated wrestlers or is familiar with athlete-skin conditions.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone else wrote--showering immediately and holding the kid out for a couple practices for the sake of the rest of the team....otherwise it will come right back to him/her. 

bigG

Most farmers separate barn clothes from the rest of the laundry because cows have serious ring worms, many times.

SSparks

This is an easy one.  Matguard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Do the research. 

woody53

Quote from: bigG on January 27, 2015, 04:58:26 PM
Most farmers separate barn clothes from the rest of the laundry because cows have serious ring worms, many times.
Most, not all. That is how our team got the worm first time.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

bigG

Quote from: woody53 on January 27, 2015, 05:55:45 PM
Quote from: bigG on January 27, 2015, 04:58:26 PM
Most, not all. That is how our team got the worm first time.

We've been there, too, Rich. Clothes and a good shower after barn and practice. Matguard ain't killin' that stuff. Been there, done that. Cow worms eat Matguard.

Tea tree is about the best anti-fungal I know of. Better than any script in my experience.