Flocking to Merrill?

Started by padre, March 18, 2016, 01:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

padre

By the looks of teams entered at regionals it looks like Merrill is going to have huge numbers with pre-registration...

1. Merrill 126
2. Lakeland  84
3. Westby 75
4. Mineral Point  73
5,  Sauk Prairie 67
6. Bay Port 65
7.  Oconomowoc  52
8. Oregon  50

Could be a long day if the numbers hold up....Good luck to all!!!

padre

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on March 18, 2016, 01:41:19 PM
I am not sure these numbers tell the story.   Some clubs down in the Milwaukee/Madison area will have well over 20-30 kids from one club alone.  And there are a handful of people who don't pre-register online. 

Agreed...but same goes here.  We are bringing 30ish.

DocWrestling

It also can matter if the tourney director went in and cleaned up the team names already or even deleted the teams from last year.  They likely just imported all the teams from last year so they are added to any teams this year.

Plus the tourney director should clean up the team names.
Look at the team names.

Wausau West + Wausau West youth wrestling club
Stanley-Boyd + Stanley Boyd (see the difference)
Seymour + Seymour Wrestling

The tourney director needs to clean those up or otherwise track will consider them as different teams and they could have to wrestle in first round if in same bracket!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

SayNo2Stalling

gwmiller44

I would think the numbers would a lot more. Is this a down year? Regionals would avg. between 300 to 400+?
Really? Think, Wow!

padre

Quote from: gwmiller44 on March 18, 2016, 02:24:26 PM
I would think the numbers would a lot more. Is this a down year? Regionals would avg. between 300 to 400+?

Thats just schools....or club names.

padre

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 18, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
It also can matter if the tourney director went in and cleaned up the team names already or even deleted the teams from last year.  They likely just imported all the teams from last year so they are added to any teams this year.

Look at the team names.

The tourney director needs to clean those up or otherwise track will consider them as different teams and they could have to wrestle in first round if in same bracket!

Could be.  Maybe different tournaments do it differently.  I didn't look closely but would imagine that same thing happens at most.

littleguy301

River Falls I see is not included in the list.

I was told when I was there they had close to 300 online, maybe 280ish before the weigh ins friday night.

I would think that wrestlers are flocking to River Falls ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

kpugh8680

We were out of Merrill around 5:30 and were one of the last matches. Riverfalls always seems to have a lot of wrestlers since it covers, what I think, is the biggest region.

ChargerDad

River Falls and Merrill cover the biggest geography, didn't calculate size, but they are close.  Last year Merrill had 540 wrestlers and if I remember right River Falls was slightly higher at 572.  I think they were top two or three by number of wrestlers.  I think there is a fair amount of flocking to both as clubs split up their kids and some perceive their local regional as stronger because they know those kids.

shouldvewrestled

It also can matter if the tourney director went in and cleaned up the team names already or even deleted the teams from last year.  They likely just imported all the teams from last year so they are added to any teams this year.

Look at the team names.

Problem is a kids track profile could be linked to a certain team name and changing all those to one town name could mess up the separation criteria too. Top criteria was qualifier from last year. If was under say Stanley last year but we change all to Stanley Boyd this year the system might not recognize he qualified last year.

littleguy301

Does anyone know what the numbers were at all regionals? sorry I mean quailfiers?

shouldvewrestled

littleguy301

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on March 20, 2016, 09:30:42 PM
River Falls was 570

Not bad. Werent they over 650 a couple of years back?

What I noticed yesterday was that it seemed clearer around the mats and easier to get through the crowd to hit the mat to coach!

Well run tournament again by the river falls staff. Boy they have it down to a T as how to run a tournament. Very good officials, outstanding table workers and the people at the head table took care of problems like a sharp knife threw butter!

DocWrestling

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on March 20, 2016, 09:07:11 PM

Look at the team names.

Problem is a kids track profile could be linked to a certain team name and changing all those to one town name could mess up the separation criteria too. Top criteria was qualifier from last year. If was under say Stanley last year but we change all to Stanley Boyd this year the system might not recognize he qualified last year.

It will if the tourney director runs the "match" program after the tourney.  That matches every wrestler to their profile.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!