Wisconsin Illinois Dual

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, January 08, 2023, 09:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Will be a close dual. Illinois wrestled Iowa pretty tough Friday..

125 – #5 Eric Barnett (UW) vs Maximo Renteria (IL
133 – #27 Taylor Lamont (UW) vs #10 Lucas Byrd (IL)
141 – #26 Joe Zargo/Felix Lettini (UW) vs Danny Pucino (IL)
149 – #2 Austin/Gomez/Aidan Medora (UW) vs vs Kevon Davenport (IL)
157 – #16 Garrett/Model/Drew Scharenbrock vs Michael Carr (IL)
165 – #5 Dean Hamiti (UW) #11 Danny Braunagel (IL)
174 – Josh Otto/James Rowley (UW) vs #10 Edmond Ruth (IL)
184 – Tyler Dow (UW) vs #29 Dylan Connell (IL)
197 – #14 Braxton Amos (UW) vs #13 Zac Braunagel (IL)
285 – #11 Trent Hillger (UW) vs Matt Wroblewski (IL)

Intermat Rankings Listed

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigoil

Gomez out per Big Ten. Need him to get healthy!!

Harris

He was really limping and looked like he was in a lot of pain after his win against Penn State

onwisconsin

I love Braxton and he has definitely improved this season. For him to take that next step, he needs to get that last TD and be as aggressive as he is early in matches. He has lost a lot of leads or tie matches in the last 30 seconds this year and last. 

I know it is easy for me to say sitting in my living room, but really want him to take that next step in folkstyle. 

vsmf2010

That was bit of a head scratcher. If Joey was good to go, not sure why he does not wrestle at 141.

Harris

Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 08, 2023, 05:01:43 PMThat was bit of a head scratcher. If Joey was good to go, not sure why he does not wrestle at 141.

Agree

dad 2 5

no updates? Track is blank on the scores and dashboard

onwisconsin

Quote from: Harris on January 08, 2023, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on January 08, 2023, 05:01:43 PMThat was bit of a head scratcher. If Joey was good to go, not sure why he does not wrestle at 141.

Agree

I was also surprised. Joey isn't the biggest 141 out there normally. Appeared to be a big strength difference in that match.

I'm ready to move on. If we have a healthy team we win that dual, even with a few matches not going as I anticipated. 

Need more studs in the line-up (recruiting).  We are still a building program. I'm drinking the Kool-Aid.

onwisconsin

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 08, 2023, 05:20:47 PMno updates? Track is blank on the scores and dashboard

Something like this. Started at 157.

Model win decision   3-0
DJ win Tech          8-0
Otto lose decision   8-3
Dow lose decision    8-6
Braxton lose decsion 8-9
Hilger win decision  11-9
Barnett win decision 14-9
Lamont lose decicion 14-12
Lettini lost by fall 14-18
Zargo win decision  17-18

wrestlemania

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 08, 2023, 04:00:48 PMI love Braxton and he has definitely improved this season. For him to take that next step, he needs to get that last TD and be as aggressive as he is early in matches. He has lost a lot of leads or tie matches in the last 30 seconds this year and last. 

I know it is easy for me to say sitting in my living room, but really want him to take that next step in folkstyle. 

It's not just an Amos problem.

Bottom line is that without Gomez certain wrestlers needed to step up to win their 50-50 matches or get bonus points to compensate for the loss of Gomez in the line-up. Some did, most didn't.

You know, if I asked a rival Big Ten coach what assessment they would make of Wisconsin's program as whole I think it would be this: "They're able to find talent and those wrestlers can win titles or be very, very good on the national level and within the league but it just doesn't translate to the entire program. For whatever reason they've never had the depth to be good from top to bottom so if something happens like an injury or an upset it affects the whole team. And when you've never won anything there's no history or culture or attitude or style you can lean on to carry you when you need it or establish yourselves in comparison to other programs. They just sort of sink or swim based on what and who is available and what's happening at the moment."   

Yes, if Gomez wrestles and he's healthy UW beats Illinois. And they probably win Midlands too. But they didn't. And even without their best wrestler they still had opportunities to win at Illinois and at Midlands and they didn't. So what can you say? That it really doesn't matter who the coach is or who they bring in or who wrestles or what, until that breakthrough is finally made where the Badgers can win WITHOUT their best wrestler or wrestlers or IN SPITE OF adversity, they will never win big. And yes, I write this pretty much at my wits end because this program keeps hitting the same brick wall again and again as I've followed it for many, many years and studied its history, I just don't know what to say anymore, because I would be just repeating myself.

onwisconsin

Quote from: wrestlemania on January 08, 2023, 05:28:40 PM
Quote from: onwisconsin on January 08, 2023, 04:00:48 PMI love Braxton and he has definitely improved this season. For him to take that next step, he needs to get that last TD and be as aggressive as he is early in matches. He has lost a lot of leads or tie matches in the last 30 seconds this year and last. 

It's not just an Amos problem.

Bottom line is that without Gomez certain wrestlers needed to step up to win their 50-50 matches or get bonus points to compensate for the loss of Gomez in the line-up. Some did, most didn't.

You know, if I asked a rival Big Ten coach what assessment they would make of Wisconsin's program as whole I think it would be this: "They're able to find talent and those wrestlers can win or be very, very good on the national level and within the league but it just doesn't translate to the entire program. For whatever reason they've never had the depth to be good from top to bottom so if something happens like an injury or an upset it affects the whole team. And when you've never won anything there's no history or culture or attitude or style you can lean on to carry you when you need it or establish yourselves in comparison to other programs. They just sort of sink or swim based on what and who is available and what's happening at the moment."   

Yes, if Gomez wrestles and he's healthy UW beats Illinois. And they probably win Midlands too. But they didn't. And even without their best wrestler they still had opportunities to win at Illinois and at Midlands and they didn't. So what can you say? That really doesn't matter who the coach is or who they bring in or who wrestles or what, until that breakthrough is finally made where the Badgers can win WITHOUT their best wrestler or wrestlers or IN SPITE OF adversity, they will never win big. And yes, I write this pretty much at my wits end because this program keeps hitting the same brick wall again and again as I've followed it for many, many years and studied its history, I just don't know what to say anymore.

Totally agree with everything you said.  I absolutely agree it was not only an Amos problem.  I just mentioned him directly after his match, because I so badly want him to turn the corner. He's had tons of tough losses.

As far as the program. This is our present and past reality. I agree.

I'm still optimistic about the coaching staff and our future. Hoping NIL and a step up of fund raising can help the overall strength and depth across all weight classes.

Hugh

To be fair illinois was missing guys too.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Hugh on January 08, 2023, 08:14:15 PMTo be fair illinois was missing guys too.

Who are the "guys" you are referring to? The only non-starter not to wrestle for Illinois was Mike Carr. He has wrestled 1 match this season (Friday night) and that is his first match since February of 2021. 

DocWrestling

Disappointing dual with blown chances usually from poor decisions.  Surprised Barnett was not more urgent to get the bonus point and was not overly impressed with Hillger.  Need an explanation on the Zargo decision.  This team has no depth.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 09, 2023, 07:42:20 AMDisappointing dual with blown chances usually from poor decisions.  Surprised Barnett was not more urgent to get the bonus point and was not overly impressed with Hillger.  Need an explanation on the Zargo decision.  This team has no depth.
Agree with that take completely. As for depth, I can't remember which dual it was but a double FF at 125 in the BIG (I'm pretty sure).