Wisconsin Media Coverage of World Team Trials

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, June 25, 2013, 09:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I am quite disappointed with the media coverage of the World Team Trials.

Basically nothing in the Wisconsin State Journal, nothing of note in the Journal Sentinel. (The Journal mentioned the tournament and couple of names like Metcalf in a small blurb)  No mention of Jesse Thielke's accomplishments (or Alyssa Lampe either)

Two Wisconsin natives qualify for the World Championships and the two largest newspaper provide no coverage ?  Do they not realize that qualifying for a World Championship is very similar to qualifying for the Olympics?

Was anything on any Wisconsin TV Channels?  We really need to figure out a way to get the word out more - when the news outlets refuse to report important Wisconsin news, we need to push the envelope as a wrestling community.

When was the last time two Wisconsin natives won a National Title in Wrestling in the same year ?  This is not "newsworthy"? 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Chris Hansen

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 25, 2013, 09:50:33 AM
I am quite disappointed with the media coverage of the World Team Trials.

Basically nothing in the Wisconsin State Journal, nothing of note in the Journal Sentinel. (The Journal mentioned the tournament and couple of names like Metcalf in a small blurb)  No mention of Jesse Thielke's accomplishments (or Alyssa Lampe either)

Two Wisconsin natives qualify for the World Championships and the two largest newspaper provide no coverage ?  Do they not realize that qualifying for a World Championship is very similar to qualifying for the Olympics?

Was anything on any Wisconsin TV Channels?  We really need to figure out a way to get the word out more - when the news outlets refuse to report important Wisconsin news, we need to push the envelope as a wrestling community.

When was the last time two Wisconsin natives won a National Title in Wrestling in the same year ?  This is not "newsworthy"? 

I assume you did not mean "National Title" but rather Wisconsin natives who made the World/Olympic Team.  That would be 2004 because 1/2 of the entire Greco Olympic Team were from Wisconsin.

canvasback

More than likely that most sports writers, columnists, TV sportscasters, etc. are not former wrestlers let alone former athletes and neither are their bosses.  The people on this site, for the better part, are former wrestlers or ate up with the sport.  Look at the UW Track and Field team whose coach is retiring.  I knew that the UW Track and Field teams were good but had no idea that they were "great" year in and out.  Such little recoginition for "greatness".  Its all about money!   

DocWrestling

I would bet the news stations got the info.  They just left it out because they did not feel that enough viewers would be interested and that is sad.  They makes choices of what is in and what is out and more often than not wrestling is left out when determining what they have room for in print or on air
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Gutwrench

I can understand leaving something out of a TV sports cast that you think isn't going to appeal to the masses.  They only have a couple of minutes to fill, and they have to pick and choose.

Similarly I can understand print newspapers leaving out or minimally covering certain events due to space constraints.

However I don't understand online newspaper sites and their minimal coverage practices.  Why not have an article about the results of the WTT?  I would think cost is minimal.