Iowa

Started by No One Cares, February 16, 2024, 03:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Look at what's happened to the men's hockey team this year with a new coach. A total different team. There has to be something to having the right guy in there running the show.

dad 2 5

Quote from: leg turk on February 18, 2024, 03:29:39 PMLook at what's happened to the men's hockey team this year with a new coach. A total different team. There has to be something to having the right guy in there running the show.

Agree but they did not have a good weekend on the road

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrestler_73 on February 18, 2024, 02:57:05 PMWho is coaching the bigger badgers.  Embarrassing

Since Bono got here I have said he does not have coaching for the big guys. Sounds from what I hear they work on their own.

neutral

hoping Hamiti doesn't decide to transfer
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

neutral

... although - if he did ... it would be quite an indictment of the coaching staff
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Numbers

DJ's 2nd period "reversal" just another example of why college reversals should also be 3 points for gaining control.

DocWrestling

I brought up money and facilities.  Someone asked what is being done about it.  The answer is nothing and I doubt anything will.

Wrestling will never be a priority sport it seems even with a former great wrestler at AD.  If there was ever a time to improve facilities it would be now and nothing is being done.  They are tearing down the shell and McClain center for new football facility.  No room to add on a wrestling facility with this?  The track team is getting a brand new indoor track because they are losing the shell.  They still have not decided where they are building it.  No room to add on a wrestling facility to this?

As far as money most of the money that now matters is NIL money.  I just don't see UW competing in that world.  UW is also very subpar as a regional training center.

Everyone is behind Penn St and Iowa and always will be.  Nebraska and Michigan bought their way into the top 4 this year but that is not sustainable.  Badgers are not the best but far from the worst in Big Ten.

The thing that will kill all UW sports in the future will be unrealistic expectations leading to apathy, etc.

With new transfer system and money things can change so much year to year.  You can bet Hamiti will be offered big money if he might be the missing piece to a team close.  Reality is nobody is probably going to compete with Penn St.

I guess I am switching from wrestling being a team sport and just hoping the Badgers might be able to pay enough to recruit or bring in athletes that can be in the top 5 and compete for an individual national title.  Guys like Barnett and Hamiti.  Truth is now that all the guys ranked 15 or more and unranked guys are "just a guy" on rosters now.  I do like stories though and cheering for Liegel and Maylor has been fun simply because they are wisconsin guys that came home.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 18, 2024, 03:04:47 PMI am unsure on the cause of our middle of the pack teams but not sure the coach is out there that makes a huge difference.  I have said before I would take a flyer on Askren or someone in his camp. 

I do think money and facilites is a bigger holdup than the coach is.

Just like the football team no longer has any chance of a conference or national championship, same for wrestling

I agree with the Wrestling part, but I don't get the FB part. "no longer has any chance of a conference or National Title?" They've probably got a better chance now than they've had in a long time. Not now as in next year, but the current setup and the investments made.

They're addressing the FB facilities and just expanded the CFPs and they made an aggressive move at HC, they're recruiting well. It's not like they're the betting favorites, but they certainly weren't before the most recent changes.

I don't know how to break down the issues with UW Wrestling by facilities and coaching. I'd be interested in hearing why they lost Estrada for example or Clark. They had some momentum and it's just fallen flat. Amos' focus on Greco isn't particularly helpful for College success IMO. The two Wrestlers I mentioned are two huge losses. All that's before even getting to the fact that the best prep Wrestlers are not going to UW(a couple of elite Wrestlers, but the majority are not).

DocWrestling

My family and now myself have had football season tickets since I was a kid in the 70's.  The football team will never have the recruits or the resources that other teams have.  They never have and new transfer rules and NIL have made it tougher.  There is no parity in college football or other sports.  Every year the Badgers have maye 4-5 guys that the top 10 teams even wanted.  The badgers might have 10 top 300 kids on their roster at any one time.  The top 10 teams will have 40 top 300 kids.

So yes if they get lucky with the right recruits they can compete and beat anyone but let's analyze the evolution to the new system.

1) Way back-  Polls decided the champion.  Big Ten only had 10 teams.  If you went undefeated in Big Ten and won your bowl game whcih could have even been against a not so great Pac-10 champion then you could be national champs.  Only had to win 11-2 games.
2) Then we had the BCS system but also had a bigger Big Ten.  More teams especially with adding Penn St made it more difficult to win the Big Ten. But if you got in the top 2 and thus national championship game you only had to upset one team and you were national champs
3) Then we had the 4 team college playoff and a 14 team Big Ten.  Luckily the Big Ten had divisions so you only had to win your division to make the conference championship game.  Badgers used this to their advantage.  Never made the 4 team playoff but now this playoff meantyou had to beat 2 great teams in back to back weeks to win the national title.  Tough task for a UW that will always have less talent or depth on paper.
4) Now we have the 12 team playoff with 18 teams in the Big Ten with no divisions.  Finishing top 2 in the conference is an extremely tall task to make conference championship game with the blue blood schools in conference.  But even taking 3rd might get you in the 12 team playoff.  But now instead of winning 1 or 2 gamesto win a national title you have to win 3-4 games in a row against the top teams in the country.

Badgers can beat anyone in a single game.  Having the talent to win 3-4 games in a row against teams with much better rosters through HS recruits, transfers, and NIL money make winning a national championship MUCH MORE difficult than it used to be.  UW will never finisnh with top 20 recruiting classes consistently and will never have the NIL money or local talent to get to the top.

Wrestling will now be similar but there are much fewer teams and just being in the Big Ten helps.  Football is competeing against probably 10-15 "blueblood" schools where wrestling really has maybe 2 but maybe even only 1.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Numbers on February 18, 2024, 05:56:45 PMDJ's 2nd period "reversal" just another example of why college reversals should also be 3 points for gaining control.

Should have been an escape and takedown. 
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

bigoil

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 18, 2024, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: Numbers on February 18, 2024, 05:56:45 PMDJ's 2nd period "reversal" just another example of why college reversals should also be 3 points for gaining control.

He did award 1, and then reverse it. Of all the bad calls this weekend, that was probably not it.

While I think awarding 1 likely had enough reaction time, it was very close.

Numbers

Quote from: bigoil on February 19, 2024, 02:14:58 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 18, 2024, 08:43:58 PM

He did award 1, and then reverse it. Of all the bad calls this weekend, that was probably not it.

While I think awarding 1 likely had enough reaction time, it was very close.
The idea of gaining control from a disadvantage position being worth less than gaining control from a neutral position is mind boggling.

I think there is better argument for reversals being 4 points than 2 points.  3 points for gaining control (like a takedown) should be the minimum change.

College rules think so highly of the control position that a minute advantage is a bonus point.  A second of advantage time in OT can determine the match. 

DocWrestling

I agree with Numbers

Ghetto

Quote from: neutral on February 18, 2024, 03:47:45 PM... although - if he did ... it would be quite an indictment of the coaching staff

Would it though? Kids are changing schools all of the time.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

vsmf2010

Quote from: Ghetto on February 19, 2024, 08:28:34 AM
Quote from: neutral on February 18, 2024, 03:47:45 PM... although - if he did ... it would be quite an indictment of the coaching staff

Would it though? Kids are changing schools all of the time.

+1