Illinois?

Started by leg turk, February 09, 2024, 11:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerOne

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 11, 2024, 03:54:15 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on February 11, 2024, 03:13:11 PMWell, Rosenfeld didn't face Luffman who he would likely be a big underdog to and instead faced a 197 guy with a 1-5 record.  No surprise here.  Wisconsin got lucky that the regular Heavy sat.  I also think Braunagel sat, though I don't know that would have had much impact as Illinois won 197 anyway.

You can say it is lucky but Luffman has not wrestled 1 single Big Ten dual. I assume he is hurt and could be out for the season. They wrestled who they have. Certainly unlucky that Bobzien, Coy and Russo are all out for year and Amos is taking an Olympic RS or the Badgers would likely be better at 41, 97 and HWT.
Luffman has been wrestling this season thru late December.  Amos isn't even wrestling this season.  So very different what ifs.  I see a poster in this thread projected Illinois getting a pin and so I assume he was thinking about someone other than a 1-5 197 pounder.  I know some of you like to jump on me when I temper the homerishness on this board, but Rosenfeld's win is not a surprise at all given who he faced.  Given who wrestled, I think it was chalk.

npope

Quote from: BadgerOne on February 11, 2024, 03:13:11 PMWell, Rosenfeld didn't face Luffman who he would likely be a big underdog to and instead faced a 197 guy with a 1-5 record.  No surprise here.  Wisconsin got lucky that the regular Heavy sat.  I also think Braunagel sat, though I don't know that would have had much impact as Illinois won 197 anyway.
There's that old wrestling adage, "You can only wrestle the guy that the other team sends out." Very apropos here. BIG congrats to Rosenfeld!!!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Ghetto

Another win.

At some point we are gonna have to give some props to the young men who step to the line for the Badgers and the coaching staff.

I get it, it's not Iowa. It's not Penn State. It's still the Big Ten, and wins are wins.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

vsmf2010

Quote from: Ghetto on February 11, 2024, 07:36:52 PMAnother win.

At some point we are gonna have to give some props to the young men who step to the line for the Badgers and the coaching staff.

I get it, it's not Iowa. It's not Penn State. It's still the Big Ten, and wins are wins.

+1

TomM

No. 23 Wisconsin 20, Illinois 18 - Feb. 11, 2024 - Madison, Wis. | WIS-ILL
125: #4 Eric Barnett (WIS) over Justin Cardani (ILL) (MD 8-0) | 4-0
133: #30 Anthony Madrigal (ILL) over Nicolar Rivera (WIS) (Dec 11-5) | 4-3
141: #26 Danny Pucino (ILL) over Felix Lettini (WIS) (TF 23-7 6:52) | 4-8
149: #22 Joseph Zargo (WIS) over Jake Harrier (ILL) (MD 19-6) | 8-8
157: Joseph Roberts (ILL) over Luke Mechler (WIS) (SV-1 4-1) | 8-11
165: #5 Dean Hamiti (WIS) over #33 Chris Moore (ILL) (Fall 2:48) | 14-11
174: #8 Edmond Ruth (ILL) over #12 Max Maylor (WIS) (Dec 8-5) | 14-14
184: #16 Shane Liegel (WIS) over #31 Dylan Connell (ILL) (Dec 2-0) | 17-14
197: Isiah Pettigrew (ILL) over Josh Otto (WIS) (MD 12-3) | 17-18
285: Gannon Rosenfeld (WIS) over Peter Marinopoulos (ILL) (Dec 12-6) | 20-18
All rankings are Intermat for Feb. 6, 2024
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

VQOriginal

The athlete's on the Badgers are definitely a top notch group of guys! They deserve all the recognition they get!

wrestlemania

Quote from: BadgerOne on February 11, 2024, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 11, 2024, 03:54:15 PM

You can say it is lucky but Luffman has not wrestled 1 single Big Ten dual. I assume he is hurt and could be out for the season. They wrestled who they have. Certainly unlucky that Bobzien, Coy and Russo are all out for year and Amos is taking an Olympic RS or the Badgers would likely be better at 41, 97 and HWT.
Luffman has been wrestling this season thru late December.  Amos isn't even wrestling this season.  So very different what ifs.  I see a poster in this thread projected Illinois getting a pin and so I assume he was thinking about someone other than a 1-5 197 pounder.  I know some of you like to jump on me when I temper the homerishness on this board, but Rosenfeld's win is not a surprise at all given who he faced.  Given who wrestled, I think it was chalk.

So what. Considering where Rosenfeld was at the beginning of the season to where he is now, I mean, if you can't celebrate that then what are you a fan for anyways?

What a nice win and to see it take place where Rosenfeld dominated instead of just getting a lucky throw and pin was very pleasing to see as well. GO BIG RED!

WhoKnows

Great showing by the badgers.  Lots of action.  Competing hard. Rivera was never out of his match until the end.  Mechler and Maylor were right there.  Hopefully Maylor gets a shot at Ruth in Big10's for redemption.

Sudden Death

It was a great dual yesterday and it's great to get the W on senior day.  Beating any Big Team is a good accomplishment as it's the toughest wrestling conference for sure. 

bigoil

Quote from: VQOriginal on February 12, 2024, 05:49:14 AMThe athlete's on the Badgers are definitely a top notch group of guys! They deserve all the recognition they get!
So are the coaches!

Coach V

You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

VQOriginal

Quote from: bigoil on February 12, 2024, 09:53:34 AM
Quote from: VQOriginal on February 12, 2024, 05:49:14 AMThe athlete's on the Badgers are definitely a top notch group of guys! They deserve all the recognition they get!
So are the coaches!

The coaches have always been great to be around.

MNbadger

Quote from: Ghetto on February 11, 2024, 07:36:52 PMAnother win.

+1
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan