Middle School Conference Tournament Weight Classes

Started by tyben, April 10, 2017, 12:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyben

I understand the idea of getting the big kids out but is having so many upper weights at a conference tournament the answer?  Is it more important to have weight classes with 4-8 big kids while a bunch of kids between 85-120 lbs don't get to wrestle because their aren't enough lower weight classes?  A way better idea would be making singlets optional for kids if you want big kids out.

Looking at Merrill over the past 3 years, every weight class between 84-144 has averaged more than 11 kids per weight class with 91, 98, 105, 112, 121 and 128 averaging about 15 kids.  Seems like a 7lb difference in weight classes in the lower weights is too much and too many heavier weight classes.

padre

Quote from: Jimmy on April 12, 2017, 02:04:12 PM
A split season with bb before Christmas and wrestling after is about as anti wrestling situation you can get. Kids on the fence try bb first and either like it and then do traveling bb after or are tired and want a break. When we did that baloney we had five kids in ten yrs. that did both. Went back to starting the ms season nov. first and numbers went up significantly. A few yrs. later the state titles started coming.

In the last 10 years I've had 2-3 kids that did both...generally not a concern.  Its not like most of these kids don't practice in November and December....many are doing their school or local club nights.

littleguy301

Quote from: Jimmy on April 12, 2017, 02:04:12 PM
A split season with bb before Christmas and wrestling after is about as anti wrestling situation you can get. Kids on the fence try bb first and either like it and then do traveling bb after or are tired and want a break. When we did that baloney we had five kids in ten yrs. that did both. Went back to starting the ms season nov. first and numbers went up significantly. A few yrs. later the state titles started coming.

we are going to dis agree on this one.

our school has done this for ever. Yes in years past we have lost wrestlers to basketball and when our team is down lose more and when it is up we lose less. I think it is more about the kids and parents than it is about wrestling vs basketball.

I believe those kids that are on the fence and go toward basketball would have done so at some point in time maybe even in high school.

If those kids chose basketball over wrestling I am fine with it but I also tell those kids that in high school when I walk into a gym to see a basketball game they better be playing and not sitting in the bleachers watching.

Here is the touchy point, how much is enough for the middle school kids. Sure the better ones or the ones that want to be better will find wrestling from November to March but it is the average kids that like the sport but at middle school time dont love it. 8-10 weeks is just enough for them to keep them interested and coming back. I do think that if you push those kids to double that season I think the choice will be made in middle school and the sad thing about that is that said kid isnt playing basketball or doing wrestling. As a coach you have to wonder where you failed to not keep those kids out and people wonder why there is continuely lower and lower involvement in high school in any sport!!!!!!

We could go around and around on this. I do think that in this day and age by the time the kids hit middle school they more than likely have their minds made up as to what sport they are going to do.

I had 2 kids on the team this year that played basketball. One was a A team starter and the other wanted something to do and didnt want to do 2-3 nights of open gym wrestling. The A teamer made state and is pretty pumped about wrestling ;D lots more reward he told me and was pumped about his future in wrestling over basketball.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Badgerfan

I'm pretty excited as my nephew who is 13 finally went out for sports this past year. He played football and wrestled. While he is behind most kids, he did finish 5th at the 16 team area Middle school tournament this past year. He's already 6'-2" and 240 pounds, so I try to stress to him he needs to eat better and do some running. I sent my brother some info on J Robinson's camp at River Falls and he's sending him there for a week. I hope he stays interested. He went out last year but quit right away because he was behind everyone but for some reason he went back out this year and said he really likes it and wants to get better. Also said he prefers it over football. Don't know how good he might be but i'm just glad he went out for now.