State of Wisconsin Rapids Wrestling Program

Started by Ravishing Rick Rude, December 24, 2013, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravishing Rick Rude

Hey Guys,

Not a wrestling die hard but am definitely a fan of the sport from afar.  Could someone please get me an update on the state of the Wisconsin Rapids Wrestling program?  They were obviously an amazing program for a long time but then had a down year last year.  Was that attributed to youth or because of not meeting expectations?  Also, do they have some wrestlers who will challenge for a state title this year/in the coming years?  Can anyone in the know get me an update on whether or not they have some studs coming up in the near future?

Thanks in advance!

ankle pick

Ravishing Rick Rude

I seriously have no idea.  I knew the class from 2 years ago was strong but was senior dominated. I only knew that because those guys were around for what seemed like 10 years.  If you have any info I'd appreciate it.  While we're at it...if anyone could give an update on how the Lux-Casco program is doing that would be great!

Quote from: ankle pick on December 24, 2013, 03:08:54 PM
I'm guessing you already know Ricky!

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

boowrestle

Id say somebody is either trying to get stuff stirred up or they have been living under a rock for past yr. ???
you can run but you cannot hide.

imnofish

Ever turn over a rock?  Lots of life under there...   :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bulldog

Quote from: boowrestle on December 24, 2013, 07:47:37 PM
Id say somebody is either trying to get stuff stirred up or they have been living under a rock for past yr. ???

Or maybe somebody is a fan of the sport and no longer lives in the area and honestly is interested in regards to the state of a team that has been a powerhouse in the sport for years. Rick, I am no expert on Rapids but they seem to have had a down year last year and have bounced back a bit after beating Stevens Point in a close dual meet. It will be interesting to see how they match up against Wausau West and Merrill. No matter what, you cannot discount a team with 21 state titles on their wall. They seem to have a few good wrestlers and are a young team. I have heard there are some good wrestlers coming up in the youth program. I have no first hand knowledge about L-C but (again from what I hear) they should continue to be strong.

Ravishing Rick Rude

Thanks for the info Bulldog.  Fellas, no hidden agenda here.  Followed through the state tourney pretty closely 2 years ago and didn't follow as closely last year, simple as that.  I do know about what you are referring to about Rapids 2 years ago.  Was just trying to figure out how long the "experts" thought they were going to be down for and when you thought they would potentially be ready to contend for the state title again.  Whether you do or don't like them, I do think Wisconsin wrestling is better when Rapids' team is a contender (kind of like the Yankees in baseball) even though sometimes it gets old when a team is on top for so long.  If anyone else has any further insider info on the talent currently in their program or a link to some standout kids in their youth program I would be interested in reading it.  Same goes for other top teams that have been talented and relevant for a long time like Lux-Casco, Coleman, and typically 1-2 other schools from the old WVC.

BTW, looking forward to attending the Cheesehead in Kaukauna this year (will be my first time attending).  Plan on going to the last day (Finals matches).  Will there be enough seating if I just come before mactches start that day or do I need to get tickets in advance?

Quote from: bulldog on December 24, 2013, 11:01:57 PM

Or maybe somebody is a fan of the sport and no longer lives in the area and honestly is interested in regards to the state of a team that has been a powerhouse in the sport for years. Rick, I am no expert on Rapids but they seem to have had a down year last year and have bounced back a bit after beating Stevens Point in a close dual meet. It will be interesting to see how they match up against Wausau West and Merrill. No matter what, you cannot discount a team with 21 state titles on their wall. They seem to have a few good wrestlers and are a young team. I have heard there are some good wrestlers coming up in the youth program. I have no first hand knowledge about L-C but (again from what I hear) they should continue to be strong.

imnofish

Quote from: Ravishing Rick Rude on December 24, 2013, 11:43:46 PM
Thanks for the info Bulldog.  Fellas, no hidden agenda here.  Followed through the state tourney pretty closely 2 years ago and didn't follow as closely last year, simple as that.  I do know about what you are referring to about Rapids 2 years ago.  Was just trying to figure out how long the "experts" thought they were going to be down for and when you thought they would potentially be ready to contend for the state title again.  Whether you do or don't like them, I do think Wisconsin wrestling is better when Rapids' team is a contender (kind of like the Yankees in baseball) even though sometimes it gets old when a team is on top for so long.  If anyone else has any further insider info on the talent currently in their program or a link to some standout kids in their youth program I would be interested in reading it.  Same goes for other top teams that have been talented and relevant for a long time like Lux-Casco, Coleman, and typically 1-2 other schools from the old WVC.

BTW, looking forward to attending the Cheesehead in Kaukauna this year (will be my first time attending).  Plan on going to the last day (Finals matches).  Will there be enough seating if I just come before mactches start that day or do I need to get tickets in advance?

R3, some of the guys on here have reportedly played pranks via the use of different identities, so that sometimes fuels suspicions.  Like you, I don't live near Rapids, so I only know what I read about their program.  I honestly don't see them compete until State.  Like you, I was wondering about their program's status this year.  Thanks for asking the question and welcome to the forum.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Ravishing Rick Rude

Imnofish,

I completely understand.  It's all good.  Regarding the Rapids program, their feeder program always seems to produce high quality wrestlers year after year.  I just wanted to get an update on who their underclassmen studs were and maybe get some info on the 7th/8th grade kids who will be arriving for them over the next 2 years. 

Quote from: imnofish on December 25, 2013, 02:17:00 AM
Quote from: Ravishing Rick Rude on December 24, 2013, 11:43:46 PM

R3, some of the guys on here have reportedly played pranks via the use of different identities, so that sometimes fuels suspicions.  Like you, I don't live near Rapids, so I only know what I read about their program.  I honestly don't see them compete until State.  Like you, I was wondering about their program's status this year.  Thanks for asking the question and welcome to the forum.

maggie

WR changed up head coaches a few yrs back i believe, maybe there starting all over again...such is the cycle of sports...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

smitty71

Not really, Scott was the co-head coach and has been around for quite a while.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

mike

Not sure of the state of Rapid's program, but it sure was fun beating them in their house last weekend  :)

bulldog

Quote from: maggie on December 25, 2013, 12:08:10 PM
WR changed up head coaches a few yrs back i believe, maybe there starting all over again...such is the cycle of sports...

A few years back? Scott has been head coach for 6 years and co-head coach for 5 years before that. 11 years in the head coach position seems like he has been there for awhile. I think Scott has been with the Rapids wrestling program for over 20 years.

JAMMIN

Quote from: Ravishing Rick Rude on December 24, 2013, 03:05:23 PM
Hey Guys,

Not a wrestling die hard but am definitely a fan of the sport from afar.  Could someone please get me an update on the state of the Wisconsin Rapids Wrestling program?  They were obviously an amazing program for a long time but then had a down year last year.  Was that attributed to youth or because of not meeting expectations?  Also, do they have some wrestlers who will challenge for a state title this year/in the coming years?  Can anyone in the know get me an update on whether or not they have some studs coming up in the near future?

Thanks in advance!

Recruiting has been down the last few years!