Badger Conference - Sneak Peak

Started by ElectricGuy, November 28, 2017, 09:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricGuy

Sorry Badger Conference fans, this is pretty short and sweet, but I wanted to do a little something before the season kicks off.   Hope you enjoy.

2017/2018 Badger Conference Preview

2016 /2017 Overall Badger Conference Champion - Stoughton
   South Badger Dual Champion – Stoughton
   North Badger Dual Champion – Waunakee  (Thank you Pastor Gunderson for the catching my error)

2016 /2017 Final Badger Conference Tournament Scores

1.  Stoughton 361.02.
2. Sauk Prairie 293.0
3. Milton 256.0
4. Waunakee 251.0
5. Reedsburg 179.5
6. Monroe 172.0
7. Ft. Atkinson 157.0
8. DeForest 149.0
9. Baraboo 110.5
10. Oregon 92.0
11. Portage 75.0
12. Mount Horeb 59.5
13. Monona Grove /McFarland 27.0

2017/2018 Team Predictions
South:
Stoughton again, they lose a deep 2017 class with about 750+ career wins between 5 graduating seniors, but they have a strong JV with a talented freshman (now sophomore) class that got some valuable experience last year.  They will be a little on the young side this year, but should be the conference favorite and a return to the barn and the finals are within reach.  Battling out for second will be between Milton and Watertown with Watertown having the edge with 13 varsity wrestlers returning to the mat.  Milton, similar to Stoughton graduated a very talented and deep 2017 class that will leave them with many holes to fill this upcoming season.  

North:
I believe Waunakee will be the team to beat this year.  Returning 10 and rumors of some returning from injury and a talented freshman class coming in might make them the early season favorites.  Baraboo, could be a close behind to them this year also returning the majority of their lineup and quite a few of them having 20+ wins last year.  Reedsburg could also make some noise with their returning lineup.  You never want to count out Coach Smith / Sauk,  but  he graduated a lot out of that varsity lineup,  this maybe a rebuilding year for the eagles.  

2017/2018 Predictions for State Qualifiers / State Place Winners (minus incoming freshman – well most of them)
Baraboo it starts and ends with Ramirez, he should be ranked in the top 5 all year at his weight.  Beaver Dam and Deforest might struggle to send anyone to state this year, if Fischer returns for Deforest he would be a good odds for placing at state.  Fort has a very good chance at sending and possibly placing both Kraus and Sigmund.  

Milton has three with Dutcher, Digennaro, and Lipke that all should be at state, with "my cousin Vinny" Digennaro and "don't give me any" Lipke both having very good odds at standing on the podium.  Monona Grove and Mount Horeb might be a year away from sending someone to State, though Monona Grove does have a very talented Gunderson coming in, but into the mid weights which will be tough to fight through as a freshman.  

Monroe might be able to sneak three through with Foley, Kind and Minder, with Kind having the best chance to place.  Oregon and Portage are still in that rebuilding mode, but Portage might sneak through Senior Golke this year for a state berth.   Reedsburg should be able to get two through to state with "into the" Fry "pan" and McMillan,  McMillan should be ranked in the top three throughout the year with a very good chance at winning his weight.  

Sauk should be able to place all three seniors this year at state with Smith, Herbrand, and Schaff.  The cupboard maybe a bit empty for a while for after these three graduate for the eagles, but coach Smith always amazes me with his ability to be able to reload with quality kids.   Now to Stoughton, when you have two of Wisconsins top 10 "pound for pound" in your starting lineup with Dow and Lewis, well that is a good place to start.  Both should be favorites to bring home a state title.  Don't overlook the stubborn sheep farmer either – aka Spilde, after placing last year at state as a sophomore he will be one of the favorites to podium any weight he goes.   Might be a tall task for a sophomore in the mid weights, but don't be surprised to see little brother Model to sneak into state.  They also get an experienced transfer in Whitehead and the #2 ranked incoming freshman in Mechler, both who could end up down on Dayton St.  

Watertown should be able to slip two through this year with Wilkowski and Maule, both gained state experience last year,  Wilkowski really looked good at the end of last year and should be able to podium this year.

Rounding out the review for our Badger conference is my sleeper team this year, 2017 Division 2 WIAA football state champs your Waunakee Warriors.   Building on their recent ongoing football success, the wrestling team hopes to turn the spotlight a little towards their program this year.  Ryan and Olkowski should both be highly ranked all year and both could expect to podium this year at State.   They also have a lot of young talent that could break through this year with both Statz's, Schweitzer, Miller, Grindle, Marek, and on top of that they will get Luke Hooker back after missing a season with injury. Also, watch for Lorenz's little brother coming up this year as a freshman.  

With all that remember "Yesterday's home runs don't win today's games." - Babe Ruth

Wishing everyone a great Christmas season with safe travels.  
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

Lunatic Fringe

mojo123

Thanks EG! Always appreciate your sly humor