Refs and Stalling

Started by DarkKnight, February 28, 2014, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quack

Quote from: Jim Rockford on March 02, 2014, 11:41:40 PM
I have a question did anyone think Devin Bahr was pinned during his first match at state?  Did not see the match and I have heard a lot of chatter about it.  Just curious on what you guys thought about the match.
Thought it was his second match? But if you are referring to the match on Mat 2? Yeah I don't think he could have been any flatter. He was there long enough to get a 3+ count. I do have to say the ref was right there for the turn and pin of the other kid. That was QUICK!!  Oh well, life goes on.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

SP

I never said that a ref should get fired! My point is that the best refs should be reffing the best tournaments. If we create a system that allows refs to see where they are at and then give them tools to make improvements we will see better officiating at the stae meet.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Spartan

1  use a video system like the NCAA does. They call it close calls and it shows live action from the NCAA tournament  with the best 20 officials in the land making mistakes and clarifying how they want things called.

2 get young officials experience at big tournaments during the year, not in the WIAA state meet

3. Make the officials final rankings available to the coaches.  We ask them to rank us, so let them know how we are ranked as a whole picture of our work on the season. Then they know who the top twenty officials are.

4. Evaluate the officials at the state tournament, top officials work the semis and finals.

5. Use video review at the state meet. Helps get the call rite.

6. Use assistant officials at the sectionals and state meet

The important thing is to get your best officials reffing the most important matches, and getting the calls rite.

SP

Video is a great place to start. Officials that want to get better will watch and learn. This is also young and old!

I do not think this is just an old and young official issue either. There are some great young officials and some officials that have been around and are not that good.

Anti-Inclusion Mafia

boowrestle

Somebody mentioned earlier about points being awarded too quickly,sometimes it happens Div1 106 championship match,there was a TD and escape awarded in about 3 seconds.I think with the way kids are being taught to scamble these days it has made reffing alot harder.But that being said just as us coaches/wrestlers have had to adjust to this new style,the officials also need to adjust.As a coach i thought the officiating was better this yr than years past,do i agree with every call i saw thru out the weekend "no" but you are not going to please everybody all the time.Thanks to all the officials for your time and effort during another great state tournament!
you can run but you cannot hide.

Spartan

1  use a video system like the NCAA does. They call it close calls and it shows live action from the NCAA tournament  with the best 20 officials in the land making mistakes and clarifying how they want things called.

2 get young officials experience at big tournaments during the year, not in the WIAA state meet

3. Make the officials final rankings available to the coaches.  We ask them to rank us, so let them know how we are ranked as a whole picture of our work on the season. Then they know who the top twenty officials are.

4. Evaluate the officials at the state tournament, top officials work the semis and finals.

The important thing is to get your best officials reffing the most important matches, and getting the calls rite.

ramjet

Quote from: Spartan on March 03, 2014, 08:57:18 AM
1  use a video system like the NCAA does. They call it close calls and it shows live action from the NCAA tournament  with the best 20 officials in the land making mistakes and clarifying how they want things called.

3. Make the officials final rankings available to the coaches.  We ask them to rank us, so let them know how we are ranked as a whole picture of our work on the season. Then they know who the top twenty officials are.

Great advice think it will happen?