5 Individual State Champs in 1 year??

Started by TheWaterBoy, February 17, 2014, 12:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

I believe LC had 5 in finals in 06, 4 champions, and 6 in finals in 09, 3 champions.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

ThirdTimeACharm

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 17, 2014, 01:38:08 PM
Quote from: coachn on February 17, 2014, 01:28:35 PM
1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

Npope who was the 6th in finals?

Had a great team that year.   Lost to Rapids in Team Tournament

Did Durand Brown take 3rd that year? Was he on the 1997 team?

Brown graduated in 96... state champ.  Additional factioid... kept my brother in law in the 3rd place position with a last minute reversal in the 94 sectional wrestle back.  (since you were talking about heart breaking endings for seniors earlier)

WBBs Bro

Just an FYI, Brandon, Fla. last week had 7 champs, 2 seconds, 1 third and 1 fifth.

npope

1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

Not sure if I can come up with another finalist on that team - so maybe it was five in the finals and four champs. But Meier was the second placer of that bunch - not Tony Black (I am pretty sure). Tony did place second to Ernst as a sophomore, but then won the title the next two seasons - this group of guys must have been his junior year. Durand Brown won it in a different year.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

The Last Ride

Quote from: ThirdTimeACharm on February 17, 2014, 05:00:45 PM
1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

Brown graduated in 96... state champ.  Additional factioid... kept my brother in law in the 3rd place position with a last minute reversal in the 94 sectional wrestle back.  (since you were talking about heart breaking endings for seniors earlier)

Ouch.... Did not mean to bring back that memory....was he your brother inlaw at that time or future Brother inlaw... ??  ;)
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

imnofish

1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

As I recall, Brown won it all in 1996. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

The Last Ride

Quote from: npope on February 17, 2014, 08:25:40 PM
1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

Not sure if I can come up with another finalist on that team - so maybe it was five in the finals and four champs. But Meier was the second placer of that bunch - not Tony Black (I am pretty sure). Tony did place second to Ernst as a sophomore, but then won the title the next two seasons - this group of guys must have been his junior year. Durand Brown won it in a different year.

From the River Falls site

1997   Joe Cudd   Junior   275 lb   1st   4-0   Champion
   Phil Meier   Senior   152 lb   1st   4-0   Champion
   Landon Lueck   Junior   135 lb   1st   2-2   ----
   Brady Cudd   Senior   130 lb   1st   4-0   Champion
   Kevin Black   Junior   112 lb   1st   4-0   Champion
   Tony Black   Sophomore   103 lb   2nd   3-1   2nd
Had to add these as well...:)
1972 Nat Pope Sophomore 119lb (2nd) 3-1 Open Class
1974 Nat Pope Senior 119lb (3rd) 4-1 Open Class

The year Mike Jenkins and Pauly Cudd basically switched spots they both took second in the sectional but went on to win state titles.

– Yoda

coachn

ctl

ThirdTimeACharm

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 17, 2014, 09:08:13 PM
Quote from: ThirdTimeACharm on February 17, 2014, 05:00:45 PM
1997 River Falls
103 Tony Black
112 Kevin Black
130 Brady Cudd   
152 Phil Meier
Hwt Joe Cudd   

Ouch.... Did not mean to bring back that memory....was he your brother inlaw at that time or future Brother inlaw... ??  ;)

Married 21 years buddy... I'll let you do the math ;-)

npope

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 17, 2014, 10:47:45 PM

The year Mike Jenkins and Pauly Cudd basically switched spots they both took second in the sectional but went on to win state titles.

Thanks for the clarification - I'm getting old and forgetful...and too lazy to actually look it up  ;)

The Jenkins-Cudd switch at regionals is a story many may not know and was pretty incredible. As a senior Cudd was returning from a previous trip to state as a junior (185 pounds), but he hurt himself in football and was out for his senior wrestling season until two weeks before conference. The RF coach (Amdahl, who was in his first year as a head coach and who had just come over from Ellsworth where he was an assistant) convinced Jenkins to come out for the team - previously he had played basketball. Jenkins had a pretty good year (but nothing incredible that might suggest what was to happen by season's end) wrestling at both 185 and heavyweight, but was limited in his skill set given his late start in the sport. When Cudd came back there was a wrestle-off (that was won by Cudd, 1-0 if memory serves me right). But Amdahl decided to wrestle Cudd at heavyweight and put Jenkins at 185. Neither was able to win the conference meet at those weights. Given those results, the coach thought better about the situation and switched them for regionals. While neither guy was able to win their respective sectional title, they both caught fire at state and ended up being champs - Jenkins doing it with an arsenal of about three moves (but he was sure good at them).

Nat Pope

The Last Ride

Quote from: npope on February 18, 2014, 10:08:34 AM
Quote from: The Last Ride on February 17, 2014, 10:47:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification - I'm getting old and forgetful...and too lazy to actually look it up  ;)

The Jenkins-Cudd switch at regionals is a story many may not know and was pretty incredible. As a senior Cudd was returning from a previous trip to state as a junior (185 pounds), but he hurt himself in football and was out for his senior wrestling season until two weeks before conference. The RF coach (Amdahl, who was in his first year as a head coach and who had just come over from Ellsworth where he was an assistant) convinced Jenkins to come out for the team - previously he had played basketball. Jenkins had a pretty good year (but nothing incredible that might suggest what was to happen by season's end) wrestling at both 185 and heavyweight, but was limited in his skill set given his late start in the sport. When Cudd came back there was a wrestle-off (that was won by Cudd, 1-0 if memory serves me right). But Amdahl decided to wrestle Cudd at heavyweight and put Jenkins at 185. Neither was able to win the conference meet at those weights. Given those results, the coach thought better about the situation and switched them for regionals. While neither guy was able to win their respective sectional title, they both caught fire at state and ended up being champs - Jenkins doing it with an arsenal of about three moves (but he was sure good at them).
That is a good story and people should use it as an example of what can happen. Pretty cool... I think Cudd broke hurt is leg playing Hudson. Nat, one more question, there was a Gee Pope that qualified for state in 71, was he related? And either Cudd or Jenkins was very good at the ankle pick

– Yoda

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

npope

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 18, 2014, 03:36:38 PM

That is a good story and people should use it as an example of what can happen. Pretty cool... I think Cudd broke hurt is leg playing Hudson. Nat, one more question, there was a Gee Pope that qualified for state in 71, was he related? And either Cudd or Jenkins was very good at the ankle pick

Yes, Gee is my older brother - ended up being a two-time AA for UW-River Falls. He was the head coach at Stevens Point for a number of years. And yes, both Cudd and Jenkins simply loved to ankle pick the big boys - they would go down with a thud when they hit the move. Ride, I didn't know you were old enough to have seen them in action (and remember it). You've been around a long time  ;)

Nat Pope

The Last Ride

Quote from: npope on February 18, 2014, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: The Last Ride on February 18, 2014, 03:36:38 PM

Yes, Gee is my older brother - ended up being a two-time AA for UW-River Falls. He was the head coach at Stevens Point for a number of years. And yes, both Cudd and Jenkins simply loved to ankle pick the big boys - they would go down with a thud when they hit the move. Ride, I didn't know you were old enough to have seen them in action (and remember it). You've been around a long time  ;)
Not that long... graduated in 79. Probably around 10 or 11 when all of you were wrestling. But I listened to a lot of stories. And I have talked with guys from Hudson that you would beat up on. :) Also, a kid named John Netwall married my cousin and he said he weighed about 165 and wrestled heavy weight a few matches at UWRF when you were there.. small world eh

– Yoda