Cutler signs for 7 years ...

Started by DrSnide, January 02, 2014, 11:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

Be curious to see the money on this one.  Sounds like 18 million per for the first 3 years. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

neutral

I know this will seem like Merry Christmas & Happy New Years for the next several years - but ...

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/inside-the-bears/bears-sign-cutler-to-7-year-deal/

There's also a link at the bottom of the story to interesting comparisons with other franchise QBs (although, somehow, minus Rodgers).  He compares very favorably ... statistically - although I know many of you don't want to consider that.  For those of you ... consider that people grow - and if Farve could grow up ... anybody can.

Still - I'm very surprised that they didn't franchise him ... since it should have been a reasonable expectation on the part of Cutler (based on the only thing injuries prevented him from proving).
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

aarons23

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DrSnide

Quote from: neutral on January 02, 2014, 11:38:57 AM
I know this will seem like Merry Christmas & Happy New Years for the next several years - but ...

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/inside-the-bears/bears-sign-cutler-to-7-year-deal/

There's also a link at the bottom of the story to interesting comparisons with other franchise QBs (although, somehow, minus Rodgers).  He compares very favorably ... statistically - although I know many of you don't want to consider that.  For those of you ... consider that people grow - and if Farve could grow up ... anybody can.

Still - I'm very surprised that they didn't franchise him ... since it should have been a reasonable expectation on the part of Cutler (based on the only thing injuries prevented him from proving).

Cutler is 30, not sure how much he "grows" from here on out.  And even what was suppose to be his best statistical year (this year) his QB ranking was 89 and he threw 19TD/12Int which is not exactly a great ratio.  If he is getting 18 plus million a year he is pretty close to Rogers in pay - I know which one I would prefer.  

Don't get me wrong, he's hardly the worst QB out there - he is above average - but I doubt he will ever be an "elite" QB - but is getting paid like one.  Of course so is Joe Flacco and Mathew Stafford - who I think are even less impressive - but roughly like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo who are about the same neighborhood as Cutler in my mind.  It does give the Bears some stability assuming he stays healthy which is something I guess.

Like I said, I'll be curious to see what hte numbers say.  I wonder if there will be an affordable "out" after three years or so for the Bears.  That would allow them to draft a QB this year or next and spend two or  three years grooming him to replace Cutler in which case it's actually a pretty smart move for the Bears. I have to assume they won't have a 37 year old Cutler on their roster in 2020. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

ramjet

He plays terrible against the Packers this may be good thing....... ;D

He is good QB and now has some real dangerous receivers so he will make difference and it will improve the Bears they now stability so to speak at that position. Something they have not had much of and Tressman is good QB coach.

neutral

Quote from: DrSnide on January 02, 2014, 12:52:42 PM
Quote from: neutral on January 02, 2014, 11:38:57 AM

There's also a link at the bottom of the story to interesting comparisons with other franchise QBs (although, somehow, minus Rodgers).  He compares very favorably ... statistically - although I know many of you don't want to consider that.  For those of you ... consider that people grow - and if Farve could grow up ... anybody can.

Cutler is 30, not sure how much he "grows" from here on out.  And even what was suppose to be his best statistical year (this year) his QB ranking was 89 and he threw 19TD/12Int which is not exactly a great ratio.  If he is getting 18 plus million a year he is pretty close to Rogers in pay - I know which one I would prefer.  

Don't get me wrong, he's hardly the worst QB out there - he is above average - but I doubt he will ever be an "elite" QB - but is getting paid like one.  Of course so is Joe Flacco and Mathew Stafford - who I think are even less impressive - but roughly like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo who are about the same neighborhood as Cutler in my mind.  It does give the Bears some stability assuming he stays healthy which is something I guess.

Like I said, I'll be curious to see what hte numbers say.  I wonder if there will be an affordable "out" after three years or so for the Bears.  That would allow them to draft a QB this year or next and spend two or  three years grooming him to replace Cutler in which case it's actually a pretty smart move for the Bears. I have to assume they won't have a 37 year old Cutler on their roster in 2020. 

My only question is not franchising him vs. the long-term contract - but ... if he's good enough for Trestman ... he's good enough for me.

whatever

Everybody loves to rip on the guy but he is a pretty decent quarterback - except when he plays the Packers.

If you compare the quarterbacks who have played the last 4-5 seasons, my guess is he is a top 10 quarterback.

I will also go out on a limb and say he is better the next 2 years under Trestman with the receivers he has now.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

imnofish

Quote from: Goat Roper on January 02, 2014, 03:06:45 PM
Quote from: whatever on January 02, 2014, 02:50:26 PM
Everybody loves to rip on the guy but he is a pretty decent quarterback - except when he plays the Packers.

If you compare the quarterbacks who have played the last 4-5 seasons, my guess is he is a top 10 quarterback.

I will also go out on a limb and say he is better the next 2 years under Trestman with the receivers he has now.

I agree, Trestman will make him a better quarterback for sure.  But, he still has that gunslinger mentality that is hard to control.

He actually had a good year, when he was healthy.  The last game, he played well against the Packers, overall.  If they surround him with quality, he should do even better.  My biggest concern is whether or not he can stay healthy.  He took so many shots the last few years that his body is pretty beat up. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

Quote from: Goat Roper on January 02, 2014, 06:03:30 PM
He had his highest quarterback rating this year and it was under 90.  I am glad he is still a Bear.

I'm not saying he is the second coming of Bart Starr, but since we are stuck with him, I'm trying to be positive.  You know, like real football fans do for the team of their choice.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

neutral

7 years ... $126,000,000 - sounds a lot like Rodgers' ... (who took less than he could have gotten).

•   Eli Manning .......... $20,850,000 / 2013
•   Matthew Stafford ... $17,820,000 / 2013
•   Peyton Manning .... $17,500,000 / 2013
•   Drew Brees .......... $17,474,000 / 2013
•   Tom Brady ........... $13,800,000 / 2013
•   Aaron Rodgers ...... $12,000,000 / 2013 ... beginning 2013 ... 7yr(s), $130MM, 54MM guaranteed
•   Jay Cutler .................................................... beginning 2014 ... 7yr(s), $126MM, 50MM guaranteed