Could use some advice

Started by Hillbilly, August 06, 2015, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbilly

Hi all.   I used to wrestle from the age of 4 to 18 over in MN.  Local folk style team then regional freestyle greco club and finally practicing with the MN Storm.  I didn't pursue wrestling into college.  Last year my boy turned 5 and showed interest in wrestling.  I signed him up with the local folk style city team.  He had a great learning experience and competed in 10 tournaments.  Here is where I need some advice.  Turns out there are 3 different wrestling clubs in this town of 9000 people.  All of them folk style only.   If my son continues to enjoy learning and wrestling how do things work out here?  I've figured out he has 2 more years before freestyle starts in Wisconsin.  I guess most tournaments don't have peewee. 

First off how do I unite all 3 clubs so the best kids can work with each other?  Secondly where do kids go to learn freestyle and Greco roman wrestling?   It's not like Brandon Paulson, Dan Chandler and Marty Morgan are walking into a local wrestling room.  My nephews are learning from chad erikson.  Where do kids in the South central part of Wisconsin go when they get serious about wrestling?  I know I have a few years to get things figured out, but where do you begin? 

Last topic.  Thoughts on managing my sons competition.  He's born in the beginning of the year so I can put him mostly in age based tournaments ensuring he has an age advantage.  Or I can put him in grade division tournaments where half the kids will be a year older than him.  I'm personally leaning towards birth year division tourneys.  One reason is because there is no state tournament to work towards.  I think he can get a few more victories with an age advantage.  Also he will be tested plenty by kids his age and even a year younger.  Wins seem to matter to him even though I talk to him about scoring take downs and stress technique over victory.  You've all been through this.  Thoughts recommendations?