A set of D1 preseason rankings

Started by rankwizard, September 23, 2023, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VQOriginal

Kaukauna isn't going the MN Christmas tournament mainly due to the new weight classes.

Dragons Fire

Quote from: VQOriginal on October 16, 2023, 11:05:35 AMKaukauna isn't going the MN Christmas tournament mainly due to the new weight classes.

That's a big hit to the quality of out of state teams to that Minnesota tournament. Kaukauna taking 4th last year in overall team scoring. I wonder if Luxemburg-Casco decides not to make the trip...

Team Scores
1    Simley            485.0
2    STMA            467.5
3    Hastings    430.0
4    Kaukauna    408.0
5    New Prague    371.5
6    Eden Prairie    325.5
7    KM          318.5
8    Wayzata    307.5
9    Luxemburg-Casco 289.5
10    Stillwater    273.5

MNbadger

Never in favor of retraction but I don't really get why this would stop teams from competing.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on October 16, 2023, 11:44:43 AMNever in favor of retraction but I don't really get why this would stop teams from competing.
I have no insight into KK reasoning but I assume it would be mostly about weight alignment and the WIAA weight loss tracking.

MNbadger

Quote from: bigoil on October 16, 2023, 01:03:58 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on October 16, 2023, 11:44:43 AMNever in favor of retraction but I don't really get why this would stop teams from competing.
I have no insight into KK reasoning but I assume it would be mostly about weight alignment and the WIAA weight loss tracking.
That was what I was thinking but for instance, in the MN tournament you would wrestle the 139 lb class but just weigh in at 138 which is the corresponding WI weight class.  Now in the upper weights there are some bigger jumps of course.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

rankwizard

Quote from: MNbadger on October 16, 2023, 01:45:04 PM
Quote from: bigoil on October 16, 2023, 01:03:58 PM
That was what I was thinking but for instance, in the MN tournament you would wrestle the 139 lb class but just weigh in at 138 which is the corresponding WI weight class.  Now in the upper weights there are some bigger jumps of course.

Yea - the bigger weight differences in the upper weights are an easy deterrent. Plus Kaukauna lost a lot of firepower and they probably want to get their 14 starters constantly involved at correct weights as they aim to contend in D1 again.

LC might not shy away- they are extremely strong again this year and would probably be able to fill Minnesota's weights appropriately.

I see some of the kids I have "ranked" are already showing signs of being in different weight classes that I first listed them in. The talent pool is deep and that is something we will enjoy.

wresfan

I think that both Luxemburg and Fennimore are in Kansas City at the Stampede that weekend

MEN'S TEAMS                                               

Arkansas City KS
Maize KS
Wabaunsee KS
Basehor-Linwood KS
McDonald County MO
Washburn Rural KS
Baylor TN
Mill Valley KS
Westmoore OK
Belton MO
Millard South NE
Whitfield MO
Buford GA
Neosho MO
Winnetonka MO
Central HS (Springfield) MO
Nixa MO
Woodward Academy GA
Christian Brothers College MO
North Desoto HS LA
Harrah OK
Collinsville OK
North Point MO
Christian Brothers HS TN
Creighton Prep NE
Odessa MO
Red Oak IA
El Reno OK
Ozark MO
Klein TX
Farmington MO
Paola KS
Bentonville West AR
Fennimore WI
Park Hill MO
Chaparral CO
Fort Osage MO
Piedmont OK
South Forsyth GA
Francis Howell Central MO
Pine Creek CO
Ponca City OK
Glenpool OK
Platte County MO
Hannibal MO
Glendale MO
Randall TX
Choctaw OK
Goddard KS
Rock Bridge MO
Grain Valley MO
Rockwall TX
Hillsboro MO
Seckman MO
Hewitt-Trussville AL
Smithville MO
Jefferson HS GA
St. Michaels MO
Jesuit LA
St. Pius X MO
Kearney MO
St. Thomas Aquinas KS
Lafayette Wildwood MO
Staley MO
Lebanon MO
Thompson HS AL
Liberty MO
Timberland MO
Little Axe Schools OK
Troy MO
Luxemburg Casco WI
Valley Center KS

tyben

Are out of state teams pulling out of the Cheesehead with the new weights in WI? 

MNbadger

We might pull out of our WI tournament.  I have to talk tothe tournament director and see how they want to handle the weights.

rankwizard

As wrestlers certify I can see where I was right (Brayten Casey at 113) and I was wrong in plenty of spots too (such as Koch will not be 126).

Lucas Peters recently wrestling 132 could match him up with Wolbert at some point, but Peters and Wolbert could easily stay at the different weights.

126 is a bit open for one of the several young tough men to rise up

WrestlerSB80

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: VQOriginal on October 16, 2023, 11:05:35 AMKaukauna isn't going the MN Christmas tournament mainly due to the new weight classes.

Really?!?!?!?!  It makes that much of a difference?

VQOriginal

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on November 02, 2023, 01:21:30 PM

My son wrestles for Kaukauna. And if it matters that much to Coach and his game plan, then yes, it plays a big part. There are other duals and events that they have to be ready for, and balancing kids weights is no easy task when you have 0 control over kids who want to eat. Obviously it is affecting the above MN team as well.

VQOriginal

Quote from: tyben on October 18, 2023, 05:51:30 PMAre out of state teams pulling out of the Cheesehead with the new weights in WI? 

I have asked and have been told no teams have pulled from the Cheesehead....yet.

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: VQOriginal on November 02, 2023, 02:04:08 PM
Quote from: MatScoutWillie on November 02, 2023, 01:21:30 PM

My son wrestles for Kaukauna. And if it matters that much to Coach and his game plan, then yes, it plays a big part. There are other duals and events that they have to be ready for, and balancing kids weights is no easy task when you have 0 control over kids who want to eat. Obviously it is affecting the above MN team as well.

Be nice if everyone had the same weight classes.  Crazy thought I know  ;D  ;D  ;D