Port Washington Invite

Started by Takedown Bro, January 11, 2020, 10:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takedown Bro

Snow day in our area so going to results from last night and it looks like Port had a pretty solid invite last night.  17 Teams with Luxemburg-Casco winning the Team Points.  A lot of ranked wresters went at it and even a #1 vs #2 at 170...I tried to get all the results for the ranked wresters which is below:

D1 #4 R. Nilo over D1 #9 J. Showalter  (FINALS)                  
D2 UR J. Miller over D2 #10 E. Worachek (Twice)                  

D1 #7 Q. Wolbert over SQ B. Kaus (back from injury)  (FINALS)                  

120 (Pretty solid bracket)               
D1 #1 (113) A. Hunter over D1 #11 (113) R .Nilo (FINALS)                  
D1 #1 (113) A. Hunter over D2 #10 H. Joniaux                  
D1 #1 (113) A. Hunter over D1 #11 J. Armas                  
D1 #11 (113) R. Nilo over D2 #6 D .Gore                  
D1 #11 (113) R. Nilo over D1 HM C. Reigstad                  
D2 #6 D. Gore over D2 #10 H. Joniaux                  
D2 #10 H. Joniaux over D1 HM C.Reigstad                  
D1 NR T. Torres over D1 #11 J. Armas                  

Only ranked wrestler D#2 HM L. Shefhik and he won the bracket                  

D1 #5 C .Minor over D2 #1 L .Joniaux (FINALS)                  
D1 #5 C. Minor over D1 #11 K. Ottis                  
D2 #1 L. Joniaux over D1 #HM E. Pogorzel                  
D1 #HM E. Pogorzel over D1 #11 K. Ottis                  

D1 #8 M. MacLennan over D2 #9 B. Peiffer   (FINALS)                  
D2 #9 B. Peiffer over D2 #HM R. Rothieaux                  

D1 #9 N. Leisgang over D1 #HM B. Ott (FINALS)                  

Only ranked wrestler D#1 #9 T. Smith and he won the bracket                  

D1 #8 C. Karl over D2 UR J. Heuss (FINALS)                  
D1 UR K. Desomeau over D1 #HM T. King                  
D1 UR D. Jerrano over D1 #HM T. King                  

D1 #1 D. Johnson over D1 #2 C. Ramage (FINALS 3-2 score)                  
D1 #1 D. Johnson over D1 #HM M. Getchell                   

D2 #1 R. Worachek over D1 #12 J. Vandehei                  

Only ranked wrestler D#1 HM M. Schumann and he won the bracket                  

D1 #6 N.Moynihan over D1 #2 B. Kawczynski (FINALS)    (MFF)               
D1 #6 N.Moynihan over D2 # 6 N. Roller                  
D1 #2 B. Kawczynski over D1 #HM W. Hammen                  

D2 #5 K. Kroll over D1 #9 D. Acevedo (FINALS)                  
D1 #9 D. Acevedo over D2 #HM E. Ladwig                  

knighthead

I notice at 220 Moynihan winning over Kawczynski in the final.  Trackwrestling has that match listed as a medical forfeit.  If that match wasn't wrestled because of a forfeit I would note that info in the results. Just to be accurate and fair to the wrestler if he was unable to wrestle the match.  Thank you for taking the time to post the results!

emmitmac

Tried to follow this tournament. Am I the only one who thinks it ridiculous that they weren't finished until approximately 11:30 pm?

MatScoutWillie

120 was deep!! And, Hunter ran through everyone with no problem.  I hope he stays at 120 if Rivera drops.  That would be a great match.  I think he's got what it takes to beat Rivera.  Can't chip/lat whip everyone!!!! 

DocWrestling

Wrestlers would still rather be wrestling at 11:45pm on Friday night vs 9am on Saturday.  Giving the wrestlers and the coaches off for the weekend is a huge positive for the sport
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

emmitmac

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 11, 2020, 11:06:25 PM
Wrestlers would still rather be wrestling at 11:45pm on Friday night vs 9am on Saturday.  Giving the wrestlers and the coaches off for the weekend is a huge positive for the sport

If that were the case, there would be more Friday night tournaments. The wrestlers I spoke to yesterday certainly didn't feel that way. There is no huge positive in arriving back at your school at two in the morning

bigoil

Quote from: emmitmac on January 12, 2020, 07:13:42 AM

If that were the case, there would be more Friday night tournaments. The wrestlers I spoke to yesterday certainly didn't feel that way. There is no huge positive in arriving back at your school at two in the morning
It is definitely growing. We have gone from zero fridays to two and I can tell you my son loves having his weekend free.

mojo123

Quote from: knighthead on January 11, 2020, 05:05:17 PM
I notice at 220 Moynihan winning over Kawczynski in the final.  Trackwrestling has that match listed as a medical forfeit.  If that match wasn't wrestled because of a forfeit I would note that info in the results. Just to be accurate and fair to the wrestler if he was unable to wrestle the match.  Thank you for taking the time to post the results!

The match wasn't wrestled. Kawczynski seemed to be battling the flu and injury all night

mojo123

100% spot on. Homestead also hosts a great Friday night tournament at the end of the month. For the sake of the sport, I hope the Friday night movement continues!!!

knighthead

Have to agree with you guys enjoying late night Friday tournaments. In the early days of OTW we always went close to midnight on Friday's session. A late Friday night final under a spot light would be pretty cool. Thanks for the update on Kawczynski. Difference in knowing the match was never wrestled. Thank you.

coastguard

Great night of wrestling at the Duffy in Port Washington!  We are working to build a great Friday night tournament. We are fortunate to have so many great teams a part of this event. We are looking for a coupe more trans for next year to make this an even more competitive event. While it is a late night, it is really nice to have the weekend off in January.

If interested in the Duffy for next year, please contact Eric Burke at eric.burke@pwssd.k12.wi.us.

knighthead

Great job Eric. Sounds like a great future! Back in the day when the tournament was on a Saturday it was always the coldest day of the year. I remember our bus having to be jump started one year in the mid 80's . Great memories!

Lunatic Fringe

Preach!  Weeknight tournaments are great for the growth of the sport.  Students don't like giving up entire saturdays 8+ times a season. We attend 6 JV tournaments on weekdays + a weekday scrimmage.  Our JV only wrestles 2 saturday's the entire season

Just one logistics question about ports tournament.  According to the efficiency report the tournament took roughly 7hr45min to complete the tournament.  How many mats did they run? 5 or 6? 

coastguard

We ran mostly 5 mats   We dud that so we would not have any breaks besides our one 30 minute dinner break. We could run 25 minutes faster if we did not have the extra round in consolation to third place. We had six mats set up for our JV invite yesterday. We will run 6 if needed.

MatScoutWillie

The more mats the better!!!  I'm curious to know why you Port didn't utilize all 6 mats laid out?