Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

kpugh8680

My day is just a little better! Thanks!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

factfinder

What a joke !!!
You don't have Carter Grewe on this list?? One of the top HWT 9th graders in the Nation, you could argue he should be in the top three of this list. You have 4 or 5 kids on the list that are at the same weight, and a few of them haven't had much success in their last few tournaments.
The kids on this list all do a great job but there are others not on the list do to their size? Because if was about there state or national record they would be on the list.
I wonder if Kleaver or Gable could have made this list?

bigoil

Number 3 on that list: Clayton Whiting; Here is what he did after winning kids state. Wrestling Freshman and Sophomores, in state and out of the state.

Clayton followed that up with a WWF Cadet Freestyle State title and Runner up in Greco, in a weight class that was filled with high schoolers.   After finishing 3rd at Northern Plains in Freestyle and going 3-2 in Freestyle in Fargo, Whiting has kicked off his preseason high school career with a title at the Grappler Fall Classic and 7th at USAW Preseason Nationals.

O Harris

Fact Finder: This is usually the case when it comes to wrestling. HWTs get no credit or respect. HWT wrestling is still wrestling. In the last 10 years I have seen more shots and HWTs doing the same moves as a 160 lb wrestler. Gable Stevenson is the probably the best wrestler pound for pound to come around in a long time.
Most heavy weights still dance around and pummel any time they are on their feet. People see this and they feel it is boring. The biggest slap in the face is at the state tournament when half the arena clears out before the HWTs have finished wrestling. Those kids have worked their butt off just to look up and see half the people gone.

hasbeen

A little harsh there factfinder. This is just a Freshman preview. Wow. Probably the most difficult preview to do since none of these kids have wrestled a high school match yet. Sounds like your kid was overlooked but don't worry, he'll get his accolades he has coming in the form of State medals. The light weight freshmen will get more attention because they are just most often going to have early success. Maybe wait until January before you tear apart the committee for not putting him high enough in the rankings. That too will work itself out.

Numbers

Quote from: O Harris on November 29, 2018, 08:59:30 AM
Fact Finder: This is usually the case when it comes to wrestling. HWTs get no credit or respect. HWT wrestling is still wrestling. In the last 10 years I have seen more shots and HWTs doing the same moves as a 160 lb wrestler. Gable Stevenson is the probably the best wrestler pound for pound to come around in a long time.
Most heavy weights still dance around and pummel any time they are on their feet. People see this and they feel it is boring. The biggest slap in the face is at the state tournament when half the arena clears out before the HWTs have finished wrestling. Those kids have worked their butt off just to look up and see half the people gone.

Not a slap in the face at all.  Most of the people there are NOT general wrestling fans.  Most are supporters of individuals and/or specific school teams.  When that person/school is done for the session it is time to leave and socialize with your group.

If you do not visit this forum website during the high school wrestling season, your are probably not watching the last Thursday night heavyweight matches unless your student or school is wrestling in those matches.

wrastle63

Quote from: factfinder on November 29, 2018, 08:28:23 AM
What a joke !!!
You don't have Carter Grewe on this list?? One of the top HWT 9th graders in the Nation, you could argue he should be in the top three of this list. You have 4 or 5 kids on the list that are at the same weight, and a few of them haven't had much success in their last few tournaments.
The kids on this list all do a great job but there are others not on the list do to their size? Because if was about there state or national record they would be on the list.
I wonder if Kleaver or Gable could have made this list?
How can you argue him over Rivera, Mesenbrink, Whiting, Marko and Drexler? I don't see that at all. They have all had huge success at the national level and beating high school kids. 

ChargerDad

The one thing I love most about this forum is that there is never any overreaction ;D ;D

Carter Grewe is going to be a good one, and he will have success as a freshman.. He's physically mature enough to compete earlier than many freshman big boys..   I predict he'll even crack the rankings by mid January.  Dylan Nottestad is another freshman that is likely to do some damage as a freshman.. lost 3-2 to Carter at WWF state last year..   Jimmy Schaefbauer from NPE could also make some noise... beat Dylan 5-2 at Dominate in the Dells..  Also Kale Hopke from Amery, Peter Rucker from Wisconsin Rapids,  as well as Jaren Rohde if he's a freshman this year (BY 2004 and I don't see a f so I'm not sure..)   All big boys that will likely be major contributors as freshman..  Matthew Janssen made the "Others to watch" list and he is going to make some noise too..  I've seen all these boys wrestle in person, and they are all likely going to be on the podium at WIAA State over the next few years..

That said, I wouldn't put any of them on the list in place of the ones that are there.. there is a reason that Braelon Allen is the only wrestler over 145 pounds on this list.. lighter freshman have more predictable early success.. it's always been that way, it will always be that way..  Last year, I believe the only freshman to crack the rankings at 220 or 285 was Tanner Gaffey of St. Croix Falls..  I think this year we have a chance to have a couple, but the lighter freshman will be the ones making the most noise..

OddDuck

First, where is Carter from?? I didn't hear of him at Fargo or anything. I'm sure he's good and deserves HM, but the list certainly ain't a joke.

Garnett Stebane from Brillion is also someone to watch at 138/145, tough. and only lost to Kole Marko by 5 at kids state. Kole Marko is a stud who is going to give any upper classman trouble at the wieght he goes at, which looks like 138 or 145 for now.

BlackandGold

Just some numbers from last year's Individual HS State Tournament.

560 Competitors across all 3 divisions
55 Total Freshman Qualifiers for a 10.18%

Let's take a look at the bigger weights. For sake of adding a couple more qualifiers, let's go 170 and up.
6 Total Freshman Qualifiers from 170 and up for a 1.07%

1 HWT
0 220
1 195
2 182
2 170

Combined record of 8-11
3 stood on the podium
2 at 182
1 at 195

Let's not get over the tips of our ski's when it comes to freshman at the upper weights.

ChargerDad

Quote from: OddDuck on November 29, 2018, 11:56:19 AM
First, where is Carter from?? I didn't hear of him at Fargo or anything. I'm sure he's good and deserves HM, but the list certainly ain't a joke.

Garnett Stebane from Brillion is also someone to watch at 138/145, tough. and only lost to Kole Marko by 5 at kids state. Kole Marko is a stud who is going to give any upper classman trouble at the wieght he goes at, which looks like 138 or 145 for now.

Carter is from Abby/Colby.  I agree 100%, the list is legit..  Don't believe he went to Fargo..

I would agree on Stebane too.. tough wrestler, will make some noise as a freshman..

These preseason lists are educated guesses, and there is no way they are going to hit on every freshman who shines early..

ChargerDad

Quote from: BlackandGold on November 29, 2018, 12:56:11 PM
Just some numbers from last year's Individual HS State Tournament.

560 Competitors across all 3 divisions
55 Total Freshman Qualifiers for a 10.18%

Let's take a look at the bigger weights. For sake of adding a couple more qualifiers, let's go 170 and up.
6 Total Freshman Qualifiers from 170 and up for a 1.07%

1 HWT
0 220
1 195
2 182
2 170

Combined record of 8-11
3 stood on the podium
2 at 182
1 at 195

Let's not get over the tips of our ski's when it comes to freshman at the upper weights.

Exactly..  the upper weights are going to be few and far between at state..    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Carter is one of those, but the odds are longer than most, if not all, of the kids listed for sure..  You will start seeing the bulk of the big boys in their sophomore or junior years.. There is a reason that Beau Breske is the heaviest freshman state champ in WI history at 152..  IL had a freshman win a state title at 195 last year, but it takes a generational talent at those weights to do that much damage.

Binfiller

Yes , we would all love to see our kids on the list, but it is a top 10 list!!! I have 2 boys that wrestle and do they deserve to be on this list? No!! I appreciate the time that is put into to make up these lists and love to read all the cooments. It will all be settle out on the mat. The wrestlers that are on the list have put in the time and hard work to get the recognition they deserve. There will be several freshman that come out of no where and make some noise during the season. Looking forward to the start of the season tonight, more discussions on here and to the Top 10 sophomore list!!! Good luck to all the wrestlers this year!!!!

benaskren

I also think it is relevant to point out that the original poster said HWTs don't get respect anywhere..  Flo had Gable #1 pound for pound last year and this current year Colton Schultz and Daniel K are #1 and 2 pound for pound.

Nobody is neglected.  You should watch my last mental Monday :)
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com