Is Kaukauna the unequivocally best team in Division 1?

Started by ougiqbxy, January 06, 2015, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ougiqbxy

We all had them penciled in way before the season started by asking who the second best team in Division 1 was, but is Kaukauna that much better than other Division 1 programs?  Is there a strong case to be made that a few of the other teams have a real shot at beating them?

This comes to light after I saw the scores of the Cheesehead.  There's not much separation with those scores between Kaukauna, Stoughton and Wisconsin Rapids.  Along with the run Hudson just went on and the ever dangerous Milton team, I think Kaukauna can be knocked off.  

I admittedly am a Wisconsin Rapids native/fan.  I can look at just Rapids' lineup and can imagine 6 victories for them against Kaukauna.    

(P.S.  I was inspired by the thread about this forum being dead and decided I have been sitting here wondering the same thing so I started a thread....)
"One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison."

Rupert Birkin in "Women in Love" by D. H. Lawrence

bkraus

I do think Kaukauna is the best team in D1, but are they unbeatable?  Of course not.  I think Stoughton could go toe to toe with them.  Rapids as well. 
Strive for Perfection

Mack

Way to stick your neck out there, ougiqbxy.  Nice work.  I'll do the same. :D

I have wondered the same thing.  Kaukauna is fierce.  IMO, so are other top rated teams, and a couple of underrated teams that rarely talk about themselves.  I'm very excited to see how it plays out.

That was actually more safe than interesting.

boowrestle

ougiqbxy,jmo it will take a lineup that is solid pretty much top to bottom to knock off kaukanua.There are a few Div1 teams out there that could win 6 matches against them but if those are 6 decisions thats only 18pts.Being from the Badger Conference,my pick would be Stoughton having best chance at knocking them off,but both teams are loaded at the lighter 1/2 of their lineups(not alot of bonus pts going to be scored in 1st 6/7 wts),jmo this dual would be decided in the upper wts.Not really sure how Kaukauna is in the upper wts but this is where i would probably give kaukauna the edge."They are the champs till somebody knocks them off".Back to the cheesehead results,Kaukauna also didnt have a state runnerup in their lineup,anybody know why Ty Lee didnt wrestle???Alot of potential team pts not in the lineup.
you can run but you cannot hide.

CoachZ

boowrestle

Elsworth maybe but jmo,Coleman has too many holes in lineup(iam not ripping on them either)we won 5/6 matches against them earlier this yr).I think Stratford is top div3 team this yr,dont think they could hang withy kaukauna either.

Street Glide

My opinion, yes KK certainly is the #1 D1 team.  I don't care how close scores are in a individual formatted tournament, that's only a slight comparison when going head to head.  No team is unbeatable on a given night, but would be hard to beat KK at the weights they currently wrestle.  I'm still amazed at some of the skin folds listed.  

DarkKnight

Coleman and Stratford can't stand against Kaukauna. Freedom (the top D2 team) would win some against them, but not enough. We'll see at the Pulaski Tournament for sure... KK will be the favorite with Freedom LC and Coleman fighting for 2nd 3rd and 4th... and maybe I am missing a team or 2 that will compete with them their for those spots???

BooWrestle.... I do agree Stratford and Coleman are pretty much equal ( each with 7 matches favored) it will come to bonus points and jazz. The winner of this Sectional Final will definitely be slightly favored over SVE and Company.

I do think Stoughton will give KK a great match if they meet.... Someone ( or I) could do a proposed dual just to see how it potentially could play out... THough of course I will be wrong but its just food for thought.

DarkKnight

Quote from: Street Glide on January 06, 2015, 02:24:14 PM
My opinion, yes KK certainly is the #1 D1 team.  I don't care how close scores are in a individual formatted tournament, that's only a slight comparison when going head to head.  No team is unbeatable on a given night, but would be hard to beat KK at the weights they currently wrestle.  I'm still amazed at some of the skin folds listed.  

Trust me, IMO Lee really cant make 126 and there were others that are biased.... simply the taker made inaccurate measurements. That's okay, I'm sure Robert Lee isn't even thinking of going 132. Its nothing we can do about it, they make weight and that is all that matters...

boowrestle

Streetglide is still talking about them skinfolds  ;),just because state says some of these kids can drop doesnt mean they will.

Irish

Boo still making excuses... The system should not be that flawed.. Those skins folds are a serious red flag.

DarkKnight

Proposed KK vs Sto Dual.

106:Klein TF Nushart, STO 5-0
113:Lee MD Jenny, STO 5-4
120:Leon Dec Louis, KK 7-5
126:Hasselberger TF Lee, STO 10-7
132:Leon TF Model, KK 12-10
138:Lee Dec Kraus, KK 15-10
145:Dow TF Quella, KK 15-15
152:VanHandel pin ?, KK 21-15
160:VandenHueval Dec Reily, KK 24-15
170:Shukoski Dec Helland, KK 27-15
182:Haen pin STo, KK 33-15
195:Frasseto Dec Benton KK 36-15
220:Nelson Pin VanAsten, KK 36-21
285:Kluever pin? Sto.. KK 42-21

Bear in mind Trent Leon, Robert Lee, Shukoski, and Frasseto all won very close matches over their Stoughton counterparts at the Cheese... so they can close the gap. I wonder how Milton and Stoughton matchup but I don't care to do them because they may move around and its too hard to guess.

DarkKnight

Quote from: Irish on January 06, 2015, 02:46:27 PM
Boo still making excuses... The system should not be that flawed.. Those skins folds are a serious red flag.
'

Don't worry about the Skinfolds. Now if next year there are Red Flags, well than something ought to be done... But I'm sure they will internally fix their problems. One would hope??

ougiqbxy

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 06, 2015, 02:56:58 PM
Proposed KK vs Sto Dual.

106:Klein TF Nushart, STO 5-0
113:Lee MD Jenny, STO 5-4
120:Leon Dec Louis, KK 7-5
126:Hasselberger TF Lee, STO 10-7
132:Leon TF Model, KK 12-10
138:Lee Dec Kraus, KK 15-10
145:Dow TF Quella, KK 15-15
152:VanHandel pin ?, KK 21-15
160:VandenHueval Dec Reily, KK 24-15
170:Shukoski Dec Helland, KK 27-15
182:Haen pin STo, KK 33-15
195:Frasseto Dec Benton KK 36-15
220:Nelson Pin VanAsten, KK 36-21
285:Kluever pin? Sto.. KK 42-21

Bear in mind Trent Leon, Robert Lee, Shukoski, and Frasseto all won very close matches over their Stoughton counterparts at the Cheese... so they can close the gap. I wonder how Milton and Stoughton matchup but I don't care to do them because they may move around and its too hard to guess.

This is what I wanted to see.

I did the same with Rapids and Kaukauna...

106  Einerson DEC Nushart  3-0 Rapids
113  Lee  MDEC Jisko  4-3 Kaukauna
120  Trent Leon DEC Spray  7-3 Kaukauna  (Toss up.  Leon Finished Higher at Cheesehead, but Spray was the only one to beat the top seed.)
126  Zach Lee PIN Benitz 13-3 Kaukauna
132  Tres Leon PIN Diebel 19-3 Kaukauna
138  Robert Lee PIN Sawyer 25-3 Kaukauna
145  Hall MDEC  Quella   25-7 KK
152  Van Handel DEC Einerson 28-7 KK
160  Brock Benitz MDEC Vandenheuvel  28-11 KK
170  Shukoski MDEC Timm   32-11 KK
182 Fuller MDEC Haen   32-16 KK
195  Abel PIN Frassetto   32-22 KK
220  Thompson PIN Van Asten  32-28 KK
285  Kleuver  FF -     38-28 KK

I could see Rapids Moving Einerson from 152 to 160 and bumping everyone up to try gaining another win.  Spray could win.  Those two things could make it a Rapids victory.

Also, I ran Stoughton and Rapids and I got 7 matches apiece with Stoughton winning by 1.

Anyone else want to try their team?
"One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison."

Rupert Birkin in "Women in Love" by D. H. Lawrence

DarkKnight

Nice man... you can give it to Spray... he might have a few tricks on Leon yet.  I didn't do Milton yet But I will probably later... just to see who is favored in the Milton-Sto match.

Looking at the 120 Lb bracket again I have to say Leon and Spray are dead even, and I haven't watched either of them wrestle so I don't know how their styles clash.