Full wrestlebacks at state

Started by peeweespop, February 24, 2014, 10:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeweespop

My nephew just placed 8th in the Iowa State High School Championships (yes they place to 8th in a 16 man bracket).  He lost his first match, and the wrestler he lost to lost his quarter final match.
In Wisconsin, he would have been eliminated. 
Why is it we don't have full wrestlebacks in Wisconsin.  In Iowa they have full 16 man brackets in all three classes and manage to finish on Saturday night.  It doesn't seem right for a young man to qualify for state and by the luck of the draw only get to wrestle once.  I would advocate for full wrestlebacks in Wisconsin.
This reminds of of a story.  A man asks his wife why she cuts the ends off of her ham before putting it in the oven.  She responds that her mother always did it that way.  He then asks his mother in law about it, and she says that her mother always did it that way.  He then asks his great grand mother in law.  She says that its because her roaster was not big enough. 
End of the day, I can't believe this is an economic issue or a timing issue. You qualify for state, you should get to wrestle twice. 
I stand with Skywalker.

whatever

I absolutely agree.

Especially with the brackets being set up with a random draw, there ought to be 2 matches for every wrestler.

In the past, I believe the reason from the WIAA came down to time issues with the Kohl Center for wrestling a few more matches.

That still seems like a very weak argument.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

DocWrestling

Pretty sure Woody has been working on this for years and the WIAA is the problem.  It is a logistical and time issue but it can be worked out.

I am in full support and have been and hope the coaches association can put enough pressure on the WIAA to make this change.

D1 would be easy.  The problem is getting the WIAA to agree to send 4 more kids down in D2 and D3.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

boowrestle

Would love to see full wrestlebacks but how could u add 4 more kids in div 2/3??Take top 4 ???
you can run but you cannot hide.

DocWrestling

Quote from: boowrestle on February 24, 2014, 10:44:42 AM
Would love to see full wrestlebacks but how could u add 4 more kids in div 2/3??Take top 4 ???

I would assume that would be the case.  Can you have true wrestlebacks with just the 12 down there now and the present bracket format?  I suppose you could

switch_it

Taking four from D2/3 in each Sectional would make the most sense to be able to have a full wrestleback and to guarantee all wrestlers two matches. 

Although, as posted in a different thread by someone else, having four wrestlers would occasionaly add someone with a questionable record to the bracket. Most of the time though, the 4th place wrestler has a solid record well above .500

imnofish

Quote from: switch_it on February 24, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
Taking four from D2/3 in each Sectional would make the most sense to be able to have a full wrestleback and to guarantee all wrestlers two matches. 

Although, as posted in a different thread by someone else, having four wrestlers would occasionaly add someone with a questionable record to the bracket. Most of the time though, the 4th place wrestler has a solid record well above .500

I believe that's what Illinois is doing at Sectionals now.  As far as records go, I've seen a number of examples where a kid's record was not so great, but he came on at the end of the year and placed at State.  In fact, I know of 2 kids (at the high school from which I graduated) who wrestled their first varsity match at Regionals and went on to place in the top 3 at the State Tournament.  I wrestled against a guy that I totally thrashed during the dual season, who then peaked at the right time and took second at State, barely ending up with a winning record. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

switch_it

Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2014, 11:14:52 AM
Quote from: switch_it on February 24, 2014, 10:54:18 AM

I believe that's what Illinois is doing at Sectionals now.  As far as records go, I've seen a number of examples where a kid's record was not so great, but he came on at the end of the year and placed at State.  In fact, I know of 2 kids (at the high school from which I graduated) who wrestled their first varsity match at Regionals and went on to place in the top 3 at the State Tournament.  I wrestled against a guy that I totally thrashed during the dual season, who then peaked at the right time and took second at State, barely ending up with a winning record. 

I agree.  Some of the best stories are the wrestlers that make it to State or place at State after having a rough season and then peaking at the right time.

DocWrestling

I have always thought they should D1 just like D2 and D3 and then just allow 4 wild card picks like they do for the NCAA.

These could be wrestlers that were knocked out at regionals or sectionals.  Just a way to try and get the best 16 down there regardless of geography.  The state experience is special and losing out because of geography is rough.

imnofish

The first step to getting it right would be advancing 3 wrestlers at Regionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd, so you can do it all in one day.  Then take top 4 from Sectionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd.  Sectionals would run Fri. Night and all day on Sat. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

jaguarwrestler

I would like to see double elimination but not matches wrestled to 8th
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

ramjet

You talk about a huge let down go to State wrestle tough lose by 1 point and you are done. Stinks to high heaven.

Numbers

Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2014, 11:36:07 AM
The first step to getting it right would be advancing 3 wrestlers at Regionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd, so you can do it all in one day.  Then take top 4 from Sectionals, with a full wrestleback to 3rd place.  No wrestlebacks to 2nd.  Sectionals would run Fri. Night and all day on Sat. 

Don't think a Friday/Saturday sectional will ever happen.  Maybe if the regional weekend becomes a regional dual meet tournament to select the team champions for advancing (each team gets 2 or 3 duals - basic 8 team bracketing with seeding).  Then individuals might need Friday and Saturday for a Super Sectional to determine individual state qualifiers.

D2 and D3 four sectionals were needed when state was 8 man brackets.  Then adjusted to have 12 man brackets.  If they ever go to 16 man brackets, I assume having 8 sectionals like D1 will be an option.  (Unless D1 also moves to taking top 4 from 4 sectionals)  Of course if D2 and D3 expand to 16 qualifiers there are more Kohl Center scheduling issues.  Session 1-Thursday morning!

DocWrestling

No matter what you do there will have to be non-stop wrestling from Thursday morning on.

One of the biggest hurdles was forcing D2 and D3 to wrestle on Thursday and we already have that now

woody53

The key thing is getting everyone on the same page. All we want is to give everyone the most opportunities.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!