Challenge to the WI wrestling community

Started by benaskren, October 31, 2013, 12:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

OK so here is my challenge to the WI wrestling community.  It is a big one so I hope you are ready.

SELL OUT the Big Ten tournament in Madison.

Here is my reason, every fan always bitches and complains when a program is dropped at the college level.  The best way we can prevent that from happening is to show college ADs that we the wrestling community care about college wrestling.  I would like the entire state to declare a moratorium on all youth tournaments for the weekend.  I know it is the weekend before youth regionals and you know what I don't care.  All of the wrestlers from our academies will be strongly discouraged from competing that weekend if not outright banned.  This is our chance to show the Wisconsin Athletic Dept that the state of WI genuinely cares about its wrestling program.  Lets get excited and make this happen!

I will repeat this challenge several times throughout the season, I hope everyone will jump on board.

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Kjohnson

aarons23

General public can begin to buy on nov, 18 at 8:30am
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Lumpy

-Matt S

1Iota

Quote from: benaskren on October 31, 2013, 12:36:26 PM
OK so here is my challenge to the WI wrestling community.  It is a big one so I hope you are ready.

SELL OUT the Big Ten tournament in Madison.

Here is my reason, every fan always bitches and complains when a program is dropped at the college level.  The best way we can prevent that from happening is to show college ADs that we the wrestling community care about college wrestling.  I would like the entire state to declare a moratorium on all youth tournaments for the weekend.  I know it is the weekend before youth regionals and you know what I don't care.  All of the wrestlers from our academies will be strongly discouraged from competing that weekend if not outright banned.  This is our chance to show the Wisconsin Athletic Dept that the state of WI genuinely cares about its wrestling program.  Lets get excited and make this happen!
I will repeat this challenge several times throughout the season, I hope everyone will jump on board.

I think the fact that it is the weekend before youth regionals is a reason to instead attend the Big Ten Tournament rather than wrestle.  If your child is competing at Regionals, a weekend to rest & watch the highest level folkstyle wrestlers will imo be more beneficial than wrestling 1 tournament. 

CLC FAN

Absolutely!   Becoming a stud wrestler requires falling in love with the sport.  Which activity is more likely to help a young person do that... wrestling a youth tourney or watching big tens?

Numbers

Quote from: CLC FAN on October 31, 2013, 04:35:42 PM
Absolutely!   Becoming a stud wrestler requires falling in love with the sport.  Which activity is more likely to help a young person do that... wrestling a youth tourney or watching big tens?

A youth wrestler watches a few thousand Wisconsin fans cheering for the Badger wrestlers.  Then thinks that could be me in 10 years.  Just like the kid that goes to Miller Park and thinks he can be a major league baseball player and enjoys the next 10 years learning the skills of the sport.  Watching the action, hearing the crowd roar, asking questions, learning star athletes names, enjoying the entire experience, and maybe dreaming about their future.

This is a wrestling experience that does not come to the state of Wisconsin that often.  Super affordable and a valuable experience that is not available at a camp.  That said I hope UW puts together some free handouts at the Kohl Center explaining college scoring/riding time.  A youth parent that has never watched college wrestling could quickly learn/understand the rules so the youth wrestler can enjoy the experience.  It is not fun watching something you don't understand.

wrestlingislife_189

I love the challenge Ben! It is crucial to show the wrestling world how great wrestling is in Wisconsin and show them how we support our team. If we could fill up the Kohl Center with Badger red that would be awesome! I agree that seeing some of the best wrestlers in the country compete would be an incredible experience for those young wrestlers!

On a side note, congrats to Ben on his dominant win at AGON. You represented the state of Wisconsin very well! I hope you get the chance to take out Kyle Dake, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Jordan Burroughs, and Cael Sanderson! I hope you get a chance to fight GSP soon too.

tmwienke

Something to coordinate: 

While the University of Wisconsin will be hosting the 100th annual Big Ten wrestling championships March 8-9, in the Kohl Center...the 2014 State Team Tournament will be going on at the UW Fieldhouse.  These two venues are just a hop, skip and a takedown away from each other!!

Big House

I'm all in!

I'm gonna rent the Fester-mobile for the weekend and make him drive us between venues.
People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

littleguy301

Quote from: Big House on November 07, 2013, 02:42:08 PM
I'm all in!

I'm gonna rent the Fester-mobile for the weekend and make him drive us between venues.

Good luck making FESTER drive or if he does, he will make you love a flat surface more than you would ever think!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Street Glide

Quote from: Big House on November 07, 2013, 02:42:08 PM
I'm all in!

Careful for what you wish for!!!!! ;D

billymurphy

I was at the tournament in Madison the last time they had the Big Ten Tournament there.  Loved it even if it was pretty much a Minnesota vs. Iowa tournament.   Liked it so much I started going to some of the other Big Ten Tournaments.   I went to the National Duals in Iowa and watched Askren bump up a weight and beat Kish in a very exciting match which was fun too. 

benaskren

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com